On-going education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

liquidtension

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if there is any kind of on-going education that pharmacists must complete to maintain their license. Like a certain amount of class hours per year, etc. I haven't read anything that says so, but I'd like to know for sure.

I am also a bit confused about the pre-req's for pharmacy school. I understand each school is different, but maybe there is some industry standard? This spring I will complete an Associate's in Business Management from a community college. I barely graduated HS and dicked around for 3 years before getting my head straight, so I did this to show people that I can make good grades. Since I will already have a degree (though not a very good one..), can I just take all the pre-req's that the school requires and apply or will I need another 2-year degree in some other field?

Question #3: Would having the 2-year business degree make me stand out or would they probably say "Oh wow, a management degree from CC. This man must be some kind of genius! (sarcasm)" I can only see it as being beneficial, since pharmacists are typically in a supervisory role right?
 
Just like pharmacy techs, pharmacists must complete C.E. (Continuing Education). I'm not sure how many hours it is for a pharmacist, but it's not unbearable by any means. Usually at the pharmacy I work at they just complete it when we are slow.

I would think a degree, regardless of major, looks good to an adcom but it isn't necessary... yet. All you have to do is finish the pre-reqs and apply. Go google the admission stats of the schools you are looking at and it will tell you how many people had a Bachelor's degree that got in. Also, you can see if your GPA and PCAT are going to be competitive before you throw away an app. fee.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply.

What kind of CE classes are they taking? The same stuff they take in school to keep their skills sharp, I assume?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the prompt reply.

What kind of CE classes are they taking? The same stuff they take in school to keep their skills sharp, I assume?

You read CE articles, attend workshops or seminars, etc. CE's are usually pretty easy to get, but necessary for healthcare professionals to stay current.
 
I see. Sounds pretty standard.

Just doing a bit more reading I have found the answers to my other questions.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Such good information on these forums.