on Hold...worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asa5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called Suny to ask about my application and was told it has been reviewed once and has been put on Hold because of the OAT scores. My GPA is 3.57.

I got a 320 on both AA and TS (Breakdown: QR 320, RC 300, Bio 290, GC 300, OC 340, Physics 340). Surprisingly i did well on Physics and QR my weak subjects and not so well in Bio my strong subject!

I took the test in Sep and so will have to wait 90 days before i can take it again meaning sometime in Dec or Jan! I am worried because by then a lot of the seats will get filled. Any hopes...any suggestions...

Members don't see this ad.

did anyone else have a similar experience....i would appreciate it if someone responds....:(

did anyone else have a similar experience....i would appreciate it if someone responds....:(

I was put on hold last year at ICO with similar OAT scores and a worse GPA. I eventually did get an interview, was placed on the alternate list and then accepted. So there is still hope. Get good grades this semester and submit an updated transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the best solution for you right now is to retake your OAT. since you can't do anything about the 90 day wait period, study hard rather than worry about your chances during that time. SUNY is pretty competitive and has a high OAT average. I've read that they prefer their applicants to score a 320+ on each section. Personally, I think schools like to see consistancy rather than really high scores on certain subjects and low scores on others. Retaking the test (and hopefully improving) your scores will always be better than not doing anything about it at all. If you submit your scores in before the deadline, there is always a chance. You could also do more shadowing/internships to get more experience in the field, and not having that experience, or enough of it, could be another reason why they placed you on hold. don't be too hard on yourself. just work hard and hope for the best. g'luck! :thumbup:

thanks for your help...
i called again and they told me it was my OATs i need to improve and like you said 320+ and only then they will reconsider me...