On how many levels is this inaccurate?

Knicks

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2007
    I read this in one of those muscle-head magazines while in a waiting room and I couldn't help but giggle at this:

It was discussing Vit. D and sunlight: "Since skin is the best way to absorb the nutrient, the sun is the perfect vehicle to deliver Vit. D"

LoL, I didn't know the sun sent down Vit. D for our skin to absorb. :D

MeRLin443

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 22, 2008
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I read this in one of those muscle-head magazines while in a waiting room and I couldn't help but giggle at this:

It was discussing Vit. D and sunlight: "Since skin is the best way to absorb the nutrient, the sun is the perfect vehicle to deliver Vit. D"

But your skin has to be wet to absorb it, so that is why we sweat.

About the Ads

just one

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Feb 12, 2009
      Edmond, Oklahoma
      1. Resident [Any Field]

I don't know if you are making fun of the wording of the article or you didn't know vit D is produced in the body utilizing sunlight, but here...http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15585788

Last edited:

fsunavybabe

allopathic med student
        10+ Year Member
        Feb 25, 2009
        1. Medical Student
          I don't know if you are making fun of the wording of the article or you didn't know vit D is produced in the body utilizing sunlight, but here...http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15585788

yeah he's making fun.

But if you want to get all technical now - the amount of vitamin D made in your skin with activating effects via sunlight exposure is actually pretty "mini-scule" in relation to the amount the body actually needs. And with the new research emerging on Vit D it may be that the requirement is even larger than we previously thought (the research says it is - many docs are operating on that belief - when you learn Evidenced Based Medicine technique & critique - its still considered a few notches short of "fact").

But dude - lighten up! :D
          and yes I think its odd and ... funny may or may not be the right word - how much advertising, etc is "pseudo-health" and often pretty poorly represented if not flat wrong. lol.

happy april!

cetona

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Oct 27, 2006
          1. Medical Student
            But if you want to get all technical now - the amount of vitamin D made in your skin with activating effects via sunlight exposure is actually pretty "mini-scule" in relation to the amount the body actually needs. And with the new research emerging on Vit D it may be that the requirement is even larger than we previously thought (the research says it is - many docs are operating on that belief - when you learn Evidenced Based Medicine technique & critique - its still considered a few notches short of "fact").

I don't know if that's the case - we recently had a Vit D lecture where we were told that 10-15 minutes of full-body sunlight exposure will produce 10,000 IU within 24 hours (in caucasians), as compared to dietary intake which provides less than 10% of that (only 100 IU in a glass of milk, for example). I was under the impression that sunlight exposure was the number 1 determinant of Vitamin D status.

Aphtalyfe

10+ Year Member
            Jul 28, 2009
            1. Attending Physician
              I don't know if that's the case - we recently had a Vit D lecture where we were told that 10-15 minutes of full-body sunlight exposure will produce 10,000 IU within 24 hours (in caucasians), as compared to dietary intake which provides less than 10% of that (only 100 IU in a glass of milk, for example). I was under the impression that sunlight exposure was the number 1 determinant of Vitamin D status.

I was also taught that the primary source of Vit D is sunlight exposure.

ar2388

rads resident
              10+ Year Member
              Aug 2, 2007
              New York, NY
              1. Resident [Any Field]

same here....:cool:

werd

15+ Year Member
                Feb 13, 2004
                1. Attending Physician

there's autoregulation that prevents your body from actually making that much if you're in the sun all day. the general statement is that exposed face/neck/forearms/calves in direct sunlight for 15 minutes gives you most of the vitamin D you need in a day. having said that, vitD deficiency is actually a bigger problem than previously realized.

D

deleted103644

But won't the extra Thetans from the sunlight counteract any positive effects of the Vitamin D in the rays? :laugh:

ar2388

rads resident
                    10+ Year Member
                    Aug 2, 2007
                    New York, NY
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      there's autoregulation that prevents your body from actually making that much if you're in the sun all day. the general statement is that exposed face/neck/forearms/calves in direct sunlight for 15 minutes gives you most of the vitamin D you need in a day. having said that, vitD deficiency is actually a bigger problem than previously realized.

how big of a problem is it??

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Feb 20, 2009
                      Far from home :-)
                      1. Medical Student
                        i remember when america discovered that there were people in the middle east, it was a huge deal that women wearing burqas had vitamin d deficiencies. do a search for "burqa (or burka) vitamin d" and a whole bunch of stuff comes up. i know this is only tangentially related, sorry.

About the Ads
                        This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        7. This thread is locked.