Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

On Interview

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by mdapplicant2, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mdapplicant2

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how much emphasis do medical schools place on the interviews. Here is why I ask, I was wait-listed at two schools in the 2007-08 application cycle. And I would probably have to apply again. This was the second time I got wait-listed at one of these schools, sucks.

Wanting to get feedback on my application, I called the admissions office for one of the schools. The person who picked up the phone gave me a breakdown of my application. Btw, I have a 29Q on MCAT and 3.75 as my GPA. She told me that since I was invited to interview twice and then put on a wait list both times, it is the interviews that did not go well. I find it confusing, and I'm not sure what are the real shortcomings in my application. Did she just make a casual inference? And, my MCAT scores are the real reason. Or, I'm just not a good match for them... Now I'm like should I even consider applying there again for the 3rd time..?..

Suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated. :)

2. JeepMD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Any change in the rest of your application? If not, then I am surprised they gave you an interview the second time around. If you have made changes, then I'd go ahead and reapply if this is your first choice and really play these new developments (volunteering/employment/new grades or scores) up in your interview. Also, double check MSAR to make sure that you can even apply for a 3rd time, as some schools have a 2 and done policy.

3. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd call both schools (did you call the other one that waitlisted you yet?) and see if they'll provide feedback. tough to say if it was interview, mcat, grades, or what. My GPA is similar, one school said the rejected me partially for GPA, (must've been a top school, don't recall which one)

And have you spoke with the other schools you'd applied to so that you can find out how to be more competitive at the other schools?

I'd go for bolstering different parts of your app depending on what the admissions offices tell you, doesn't really sound like the MCAT is the main area of concern, however. The best thing about speaking with a bunch of admissions offices is that if one tells you something that sounds unreal, but no other school mentions it, you know it's not too important, whereas if most schools mention, i.e., non-medical volunteer experience, then you know it's something to look into.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gman33

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You may have had some problems with the interview, but my guess is that the MCAT is more of a problem. Have you tried retaking it?

I'd be surprised if a 33+ on the MCAT wouldn't make the interviewing "difficulties" go away.

That being said, have you done any mock interviews with someone who knows what they are doing? This could be useful feedback. Do a search if you want some interviewing tips.

:luck: