on-line science coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proratalg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to refresh myself on certain science courses, mainly microbiology, anatomy and physiology and wanted to see if anyone knew of a good on-line course, either through a community college, a 4-year college or a reputable on-line college. These courses do not need to be used for my transcripts as I am already accepted but would like to refresh myself and prepare for school this fall. I need something somewhat structured, I'm not good at just looking over my old coursework. Thanks for any serious reply!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to refresh myself on certain science courses, mainly microbiology, anatomy and physiology and wanted to see if anyone knew of a good on-line course, either through a community college, a 4-year college or a reputable on-line college. These courses do not need to be used for my transcripts as I am already accepted but would like to refresh myself and prepare for school this fall. I need something somewhat structured, I'm not good at just looking over my old coursework. Thanks for any serious reply!

If you're already accepted, instead of reviewing the prerequisites (which are not all useful) why not try to get your hands on old first year med courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're already accepted, instead of reviewing the prerequisites (which are not all useful) why not try to get your hands on old first year med courses?

I personally think it's a waste of time to try and read ahead for med school (there are hundreds of threads on the allo board by many others to this effect as well), as you won't know the focus, the level of detail, etc until you get there. You do yourself a lot more good relaxing for a couple of months and showing up invigorated and excited and ready to hit the ground running. So lie on a beach, read some fiction, watch some movies -- all the things you will have limited time to do once school starts.

But I do agree that there is certainly no value in reviewing the prereqs. You will not use them again in med school in any real sense. They are meant to be a foundation for how to approach science courses, as well as a hurdle to decide who gets into med school. Once you are in, you never need to look back. Sure, if you go into rads you will have a physics test, but that is at least 6 years down the road. Med school starts fresh, and does not build on orgo, bio, physics or gen chem in any useful way. There is no concept in med school that is so science based that you are going to wish you looked over your prereqs again. Once you are past the MCAT forget it.

There's no need to "pre-study" to prepare for med school. Use these last few months to relax, hang out with family/friends, travel, etc.

Trust me.

There's no need to "pre-study" to prepare for med school. Use these last few months to relax, hang out with family/friends, travel, etc.

Trust me.
Can't agree with this more ^^^^.

When you get to medical school, you're going to find that med school assumes that you pretty much know nothing. Your first day in Microbiology, they pretty much say, "Okay, here's what a cell is...". They do a fair bit of review (albeit quickly) to make sure that everyone is on the same page.

Studying before starting medical school is like deciding to run 10 miles the night before a marathon to make sure you're in shape. Rest, relax, and carbo load. My carb of choice is beer.

First off, I'd probably agree with everyone who is telling you to not bother. But I'm not a medical student yet... Are you looking to take real classes (ie pay tuition)? MIT has open course ware for free for a lot of their sciences classes (and I suspect other universities do as well). You can download science lectures for free on iTunes from some universities (Berkeley is one). JHU has some online classes this summer in their advanced academic program, but you'd have to pay ~$2.6k for each.

In for answer. Any CREDIBLE colleges offering online microbio, anatomy and phys?

First off, I'd probably agree with everyone who is telling you to not bother. But I'm not a medical student yet... Are you looking to take real classes (ie pay tuition)? MIT has open course ware for free for a lot of their sciences classes (and I suspect other universities do as well).
Ack! Good point. I'd forgotten about MIT's open courseware. If you have an interest but don't need the credit, MIT's always the first place to stop.

In for answer. Any CREDIBLE colleges offering online microbio, anatomy and phys?
Credible? In what sense? Many great schools offer those subjects for credit. No school offers those subjects that will be acceptable at all medical schools.