On the job hunt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nacholibre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it's time to start thinking about this already, but I'm in the 2nd half of 3rd year and as job offers begin to come in a more steady flow, I'm starting to think about what I want to do with my life and where I want to do it.

I am coming out of a program which will have trained me exceptionally well and I am confident that I will be quite comfortable with almost any of the cases that an ENT could potentially do. Outside of the obvious things (neurootology and free flaps), I am hoping to pretty much do it all (with ablative H&N + pedicled flaps, big otology cases, all peds minus airway recon and CI at the top of the list).

I realize that many factors exist which will limit my ability to do all of these things (standard of care = fellowship trained, cost inefficiency, lower production, etc). Furthermore, I understand that you make some concessions in the lifestyle department which I understand and accept. That being said, I have my heart set on trying to find a situation that will allow me to practice as a very aggressive general ENT.

I would love your thoughts on wether or not this remains a realistic expectation in the private practice world (to which I have had no exposure), on how and where to find a practice opportunity like this, about what pros/cons I may not be anticipating, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

very realistic expectation in private practice. Pretty much every state in the US has this opportunity. Just have to narrow down a couple of geographical regions, contact group practices and interview with them. The biggest thing is talking to the other partners and finding out what cases they do. I know of several groups where they do big head/neck cases, mastoids/OCR (which overall is not that common in the community). Alot of peds gets shipped to a children's hospital not just because of ENT, but because of other services being available for syndromic kids, etc. Also complex peds can require inpatient work, ancillary staff, speech/swallow, etc. So not as common to do this in general. Head and neck is not a problem to find. There's plenty of sinus/laryngeal stuff too if you market yourself.