On track for more competitive peds residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm specifically hoping to return to my hometown houston and get accepted at Baylor

Med school: ~top 25
Step 1: 258
Clinical grades so far: A in IM+psych, B+ ob/gyn
Research: 2 summers of basic and some minor clinical research during my 2nd year. No pubs, just an on campus poster

I haven't done peds yet or started getting lors. I have good preclinical grades and am involved with some good teaching and kid-centric extracurricular activities.

I feel like I'm on track pending doing well in peds and hopefully getting some good lors, although I have no idea how competitive these programs are and my research maybe alittle sparse for these academics institutions. I'm also not sure of my AOA status. Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at the same stage in my medical education as you, but I spoke to a TCH faculty member who has been around for a long time. He says each year they get >1000 apps, interview 300-400, take 40. Their algorithm for applicant selection discussions is about what you'd expect. He mentioned STEP, AOA, med school, grades (peds core, electives, sub-I matter the most), etc. It's getting more and more competitive because people from all over the country are now applying, where as in the last several decades it was a bit more regional. He never specifically commented on research. On another site, I read that average number of publications is 2-3. Average USMLE is >240. That's all I know about TCH admissions specifically- hope it helps!

I'm at the same stage in my medical education as you, but I spoke to a TCH faculty member who has been around for a long time. He says each year they get >1000 apps, interview 300-400, take 40. Their algorithm for applicant selection discussions is about what you'd expect. He mentioned STEP, AOA, med school, grades (peds core, electives, sub-I matter the most), etc. It's getting more and more competitive because people from all over the country are now applying, where as in the last several decades it was a bit more regional. He never specifically commented on research. On another site, I read that average number of publications is 2-3. Average USMLE is >240. That's all I know about TCH admissions specifically- hope it helps!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my interview season a few weeks ago... This year most programs received >1,700 applications. Depending on program size (at least larger size >25 residents), they usually interview somewhere between 250-300 applicants to fill their spaces. I received interview offers at "top" peds hospitals, including in no particular order TCH, CHOP, Cinci, Boston, Pitt, UCSF, Stanford, CHLA, Colorado Hopkins, Washington DC and so on. From my perspective, I think that having high STEP 1 & 2CK scores help a lot (in my case ~260, but generally 240). AOA membership does help a lot. Med school grades do help if you have Step scores to back them up. I did a few aways at other hospitals not affiliated with my institution to have more insight regarding my "top choices," and got LoR from them. I agree that it is getting more and more competitive. Research at most academic centers is usually a plus. Hope this helps!

Just finished my interview season a few weeks ago... This year most programs received >1,700 applications. Depending on program size (at least larger size >25 residents), they usually interview somewhere between 250-300 applicants to fill their spaces. I received interview offers at "top" peds hospitals, including in no particular order TCH, CHOP, Cinci, Boston, Pitt, UCSF, Stanford, CHLA, Colorado Hopkins, Washington DC and so on. From my perspective, I think that having high STEP 1 & 2CK scores help a lot (in my case ~260, but generally 240). AOA membership does help a lot. Med school grades do help if you have Step scores to back them up. I did a few aways at other hospitals not affiliated with my institution to have more insight regarding my "top choices," and got LoR from them. I agree that it is getting more and more competitive. Research at most academic centers is usually a plus. Hope this helps!

Did you have any research experience or publications? Will my lack of pubs be seen as a big negative?

Thanks!

Did you have any research experience or publications? Will my lack of pubs be seen as a big negative?

Thanks!

Yes, I do have multiple publications as I have another advanced degree. However, most applicants I met on the trail had no pubs. Don't know about research experiences though. Try at least to get involved in some project at your home institution just to be on the safe side (to be selected AOA at my home institution students need to have some sort of research experience with abstracts or pubs as it makes a big bulk of the evaluation). Every program is different and maybe great LoRs and other EC activities can be enough.

Hello! I'm specifically hoping to return to my hometown houston and get accepted at Baylor

Med school: ~top 25
Step 1: 258
Clinical grades so far: A in IM+psych, B+ ob/gyn
Research: 2 summers of basic and some minor clinical research during my 2nd year. No pubs, just an on campus poster

I haven't done peds yet or started getting lors. I have good preclinical grades and am involved with some good teaching and kid-centric extracurricular activities.

I feel like I'm on track pending doing well in peds and hopefully getting some good lors, although I have no idea how competitive these programs are and my research maybe alittle sparse for these academics institutions. I'm also not sure of my AOA status. Any input?

I think you will definitely get an invite to Baylor with your track record. I had a similar record as yours 250s/260s, no AOA, no pubs and very weak research background, and I got interviews to most of the "top places" listed above. (except for rejections at boston, ucsf, stanford). It's really a black box what each program values and who knows if I will match at any of these places...

for now, just focus on doing really well and having fun in your 3rd year rotations and subi, and doing well on step 2. research never hurts, of course, but I think it's really hard to balance doing well in clinicals, having a life, and doing productive research during 3rd year.