On waitlist at MSTP--PhD or MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nuel

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have been waitlisted at two MSTPs, but I have been accepted to their MD programs. However I am really interested in attending one of the MSTPs at which I have been waitlisted. My girlfriend also attends the undergrad program of the school as well. Do I email the director of the program to express my continued interest or what? I will appreciate any advice in this regard.

As a backup, I applied to top biomedical PhD programs at which I have also been fortunate to receive two acceptances. It turns out that while I am interested in translational research, I see myself doing more research than anything else as a faculty. Do I go with the MD, assuming I don't get off the waitlists, or do I get a PhD from a top 3 biomedical graduate program? Any thoughts will be duly welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Nuel said:
Unfortunately, I have been waitlisted at two MSTPs, but I have been accepted to their MD programs. However I am really interested in attending one of the MSTPs at which I have been waitlisted. My girlfriend also attends the undergrad program of the school as well. Do I email the director of the program to express my continued interest or what? I will appreciate any advice in this regard.

As a backup, I applied to top biomedical PhD programs at which I have also been fortunate to receive two acceptances. It turns out that while I am interested in translational research, I see myself doing more research than anything else as a faculty. Do I go with the MD, assuming I don't get off the waitlists, or do I get a PhD from a top 3 biomedical graduate program? Any thoughts will be duly welcome.
Check if the MD programs that you got accepted to allow you to apply again after first year. Apparently the best way to get in that way is to continue research that summer and attend all the mandatory journal clubs that the MD/PhDs go to so that you are a familiar face and they know you are dedicated. If you get an MD, you can still do a postdoc or a research residency, but with a PhD you can't see patients period.

penguinophile said:
Check if the MD programs that you got accepted to allow you to apply again after first year. Apparently the best way to get in that way is to continue research that summer and attend all the mandatory journal clubs that the MD/PhDs go to so that you are a familiar face and they know you are dedicated. If you get an MD, you can still do a postdoc or a research residency, but with a PhD you can't see patients period.

I agree. I would try to see if you can switch from MD to MD/PhD later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told that a "letter of intent" to Admissions Office / Director(s) can make a positive difference. If the program is your first choice, it couldn't hurt to make sure that they have that information. Whenever possible, schools want to accept people who will end up matriculating at their institutions.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Nuel said:

jpark27 said:
I've been told that a "letter of intent" to Admissions Office / Director(s) can make a positive difference. If the program is your first choice, it couldn't hurt to make sure that they have that information. Whenever possible, schools want to accept people who will end up matriculating at their institutions.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Thanks. How does the letter of intent work? And any recommendations as to how it should be written?

Nuel said:
Thanks. How does the letter of intent work? And any recommendations as to how it should be written?
I want to go here.
This is why I want to go here.
This is what I will contribute if you let me go here.
In conclusion, I want to go here.

A true letter of intent will say: If you let me in, I will decline all other offers and go here.

Thundrstorm said:
I want to go here.
This is why I want to go here.
This is what I will contribute if you let me go here.
In conclusion, I want to go here.

A true letter of intent will say: If you let me in, I will decline all other offers and go here.

One last question, I swear. Which is the preferred route for sending the letter of intent: postal mail or email?

Nuel said:
One last question, I swear. Which is the preferred route for sending the letter of intent: postal mail or email?

I'm old school, but so are most program directors, and I prefer postal mail. Email is by its nature convient, cheap, and ephemeral. A letter takes a little more effort, is tangible, contains a piece of you (your signature), and sets you back the cost of a first class stamp. Marshall McLuhan's statement that "the medium is the message" may be overstating the case, but I am personally impressed more by a letter than an email. A single-malt scotch would impress me even more! ;)

Good luck.