once accepted, how are you preparing for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cram said:
Really the DVD's not a waste. The point is if your have anatomy 1st semester, you don't have your whole life to learn it, just August-Dec, which will be a busy time! Previewing the video is like getting the cliff notes version ahead of time, helps keep you oriented. (and the guy in the video is a excellent teacher)

Ha! So, I was watching the reproductive portion of Acklands this morning and he said, "There's more to the penis than meets the eye" in his typical stoic demeanor. It made me laugh uncontrollably for like 5 minutes. Yes, I'm easily amused.

Members don't see this ad.

LMAO I'm going to have to buy that DVD set, just for that particular soundbite. By the way, wish me luck I'm up to be the host of a Saturday morning classic rock show on one of the local radio stations. :thumbup: That soundbite could come in very useful if I get that job. :smuggrin:

I cant really say i agree with the general theme here of "not studying" before medical school. Whats the harm in studying? Knowing more information can only make you a better doctor. Im going to medical school next year, and i already got some USMLE step 1 books from my cousin. I study it on my downtime because sometimes its fun to learn new diseases or learn reasons why a system does what it does.

Of course i dont mean study like people did on the MCAT, but moreso when your on the crapper or waiting in line to get a haircut. If you study casually and enjoy what ur reading you, you shoudnt have any problems retaining it when you get to medical school.

I currently tutor physiology at my UC irvine, and i use the USMLE physiology book to learn the material in more depth and come up with cool clinical examples for my students to relate to.

Members don't see this ad :)
PreMedPeter said:
I cant really say i agree with the general theme here of "not studying" before medical school. Whats the harm in studying? Knowing more information can only make you a better doctor. Im going to medical school next year, and i already got some USMLE step 1 books from my cousin. I study it on my downtime because sometimes its fun to learn new diseases or learn reasons why a system does what it does.

Of course i dont mean study like people did on the MCAT, but moreso when your on the crapper or waiting in line to get a haircut. If you study casually and enjoy what ur reading you, you shoudnt have any problems retaining it when you get to medical school.

I currently tutor physiology at my UC irvine, and i use the USMLE physiology book to learn the material in more depth and come up with cool clinical examples for my students to relate to.
From the tone of this post, it sounds like you dont have anything else going on in your life except being premed and academics. I mean the best username you could come up with was PREMEDPTER :laugh: Seriously man, you need to chill out and do something fun, hang out with friends if you have any, travel, take up interests that are not restricted to academics or computer/video games...there is enough time to study the USMLE books.....

CristaGalli said:
From the tone of this post, it sounds like you dont have anything else going on in your life except being premed and academics. I mean the best username you could come up with was PREMEDPTER :laugh: Seriously man, you need to chill out and do something fun, hang out with friends if you have any, travel, take up interests that are not restricted to academics or computer/video games...there is enough time to study the USMLE books.....

Give me a break, CristaGalli. You chose not address my arguement at all and isntead try to insult my character. What kinda person uses another person's username to discredit their post! Just because i say i actually enjoy reading about medicine you come to the conclusion that i have no friends and never go out. I could go further into this, but don't really care what a random SDner thinks anyways.

The purpose of my post was to tell people that studying before medical school can only help. So lets say you spend a lot of time on learning biochemistry and it turns out your medical school class covers it in a week. So what! All that means is that you will have a stronger foundation in biochemistry and you will have an easier time understanding more the material in medical school. How is that a waste of time?

PreMedPeter said:
What kinda person uses another person's username to discredit their post!

Well personally if your name was CurrentMedStudentPeter I'd probably put more stock in your opinions.
good luck with your studying though, I hope it does help.

bobito said:
Well personally if your name was CurrentMedStudentPeter I'd probably put more stock in your opinions.
good luck with your studying though, I hope it does help.

Fair enough Bobito. I am just a lowly premed anyways. All the med students that have replied to this forum say don't study so your probably safer just listening to them.

The last thing i want to say about this topic is... to me, its not about doing well in medical school, i'm sure things will be okay as long as your willing to tough it out. I am more concerned with being a great doctor, and for me that starts right now. What I learn now can only help make me a more knowledgeable physician down the road. That is why I am studying now.

But...to each there own. Congrats to everyone that has gotten accepted.

the TX match is next semester and I'll be taking classes like biochem and doing research

I feel pretty burned out by undergrad. I will take a nice do nothing break.