Once you get accepted, can you take a gap year before marticulating? I really would like to travel..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EliteUltra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering what the policies are when it comes to taking a "gap year"
Once you are accepted into a DPT program. I ask this because I really would like to take a year to travel around the world. My brother did this between undergrad and medical school, and he said it was a life-changing experience.

For example,
I plan on applying next summer (summer 2017).... Once The next cycle on PTCAS opens.

So if I didn't take a gap year I would begin probably the late summer of 2018 (most programs begin about August, and if I took this option I would be the class of 2021).

Would I be allowed to start instead in 2019 and be in the class of 2022?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can unless you have a good reason to. I have seen people on this thread defer I think it's called. You might need to make up a reason that's better than "I want to travel", however. Look this up with the search bar.

I say go for it! I traveled for over 2 years before I decided PT was the route for me. I completely changed my career and it altered the way I see the world. If I could provide anyone a piece of advice I would say go travel the world! Take a gap year before university or after and see everything you can. There are few chances in your life to do so and trust me, it will be a lot different when you're retired with hemorrhoids. Sure I may be 'behind' in the eyes of many but I have yet to meet anyone that regretted their time abroad. Just do it, I promise you will thank me later :)

Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge, once you apply for a certain entering year (2018 in your case), you are obligated to enter that class in 2018 if you are accepted. I agree with the above comment stating that this is so unless some unforeseen incident occurs (traveling doesn't count). By all means, go travel this year, and apply the next year for the 2019 entering classes. If you want to travel that badly (sounds like a great opportunity if you can), PTCAS isn't going anywhere. So travel now, and apply when you are able to commit to enter a program that same year. Good luck!

It seems people are saying you should travel. I'm gonna be more blunt and say if you can't defer your admission until next year, you should go to school and travel on breaks. Unless you have like the best stats ever. I always say go with the safer option. Many people in my program travel.

i was just wondering what the policies are when it comes to taking a "gap year"
Once you are accepted into a DPT program. I ask this because I really would like to take a year to travel around the world. My brother did this between undergrad and medical school, and he said it was a life-changing experience.

For example,
I plan on applying next summer (summer 2017).... Once The next cycle on PTCAS opens.

So if I didn't take a gap year I would begin probably the late summer of 2018 (most programs begin about August, and if I took this option I would be the class of 2021).

Would I be allowed to start instead in 2019 and be in the class of 2022?

Agreed that traveling is amazing. However, I'm currently in school and utilize my longer term breaks (think christmas/thanksgiving/etc) to travel. My school also offers international long-term clinicals which are designed to let the students travel. It's great to work my butt off during the semester and reward myself with an awesome trip after (and all my professors really recommend enjoying our breaks rather than studying more).

Reactions: 1 user