Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badassy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish to know more about this fellowship, can anyone shed some light to a young aspiring student.

Members don't see this ad.

Very dynamic field. Deal alot with Critical care issues, electrolyte/metabolic problems/renal/endocrine issues related to underlying cancer/neoplasm or adverse effects of chemotherapeutics. Outlook is different as you are trying to prolong life in many many instances rather that looking for a complete cure. oncologists seem to develop their niche: lymphoma/leukemia/blood disorders vs. solid tumors.

In my opinion to be good at haem-onc you need:

1. to be person who pays great attention to fine details and numbers...expect the unexpected.
2. quicking thinking and able to respond to and deal well with critical care issues when dealing with inpatient haem/onc
3. have the ability to display compassion and empathy yet the ability to distance yourself when you are away from work.
4. the advancements in oncology in the past 10-20 years are astounding...i would expect major steps in the next 20 years. if you are interested in a dynamic field...this is it.

this is just my opinion after my haem onc inpatient rotation last month. the best way to get an idea is to work in the field. you'll know what feels right.

hope this helps
take care

hope this helps

Thank you sir,

Anyone know the difference between a medical oncology fellowship and a Hem/Onc fellowship in terms of years, practice / academic area, hours and pay?