one bad grade

Started by MIpharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MIpharm

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i got a b- in precalc but have all A's/A-'s in the rest of my classes including calc, orgo etc (3.77 GPA). should i retake that class? im applying right now for fall 07. Thanks!
 
I wouldn't re-take it. It's only one B-. Your grades are more than good enough to be a competitive applicant for Pharmacy school. You made a B- in Pre-Calculus, but you made an A in Calculus, you must be doing something right. It's understandable that sometimes you might have a bad semester or a bad teacher that results in a grade you were not hoping for. Trust me, that one B- will not hurt you, it's not even a bad grade. You'll be fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MIpharm said:
i got a b- in precalc but have all A's/A-'s in the rest of my classes including calc, orgo etc (3.77 GPA). should i retake that class? im applying right now for fall 07. Thanks!


I doubt one grade makes significant impact on your GPA. And if you got an "A" in Calc, that would be more important than your Pre-Calc grade. Even if you got a "B" in Pre-calc, it shows that you obviously learned something if you did better in Calc. 🙂

I personally would not retake it. JMO, though. 😳
 
this reminds me of people who get a 1520 on the SATs (out of 1600) and then retake to get a higher score.

pharmwannebe2 said:
if a b is a bad grade...then i am screwed ha

Ditto :laugh:
 
DownonthePharm said:
What is this the pre-allo board?

Just teasin' youll be fine, dont bother to retake.


Lol. I agree, don't retake the class. Admissions committees look at your grades overall. They understand that sometimes Math professors can be crazy when it comes to exams. Don't sweat it.
 
lol, well i guess youre saying i shouldnt retake it unless i dont get in? i've just heard so many crazy stories about pharmd admissions, that i dont know what to do about this. the only ppl ive actually talked to that have gotten in had >3.9's and b.s. or b.a.'s. thats why i worry. :scared:
 
MIpharm said:
i got a b- in precalc but have all A's/A-'s in the rest of my classes including calc, orgo etc (3.77 GPA). should i retake that class? im applying right now for fall 07. Thanks!
this is a no brainer.....of course not!!!
 
MIpharm said:
i got a b- in precalc but have all A's/A-'s in the rest of my classes including calc, orgo etc (3.77 GPA). should i retake that class? im applying right now for fall 07. Thanks!
Do not retake that class
 
MIpharm said:
lol, well i guess youre saying i shouldnt retake it unless i dont get in? i've just heard so many crazy stories about pharmd admissions, that i dont know what to do about this. the only ppl ive actually talked to that have gotten in had >3.9's and b.s. or b.a.'s. thats why i worry. :scared:

One B- amongst A's and A-'s is nothing. Seriously, the average GPAs at some schools are 3.4-3.6 and your B- in a non-science course won't hurt you. And if you don't like your GPA, want to trade with me?! 😀 But seriously, your B- won't make or break your admissions, or they'd be stupid. You're much better than most applicants (when I clicked on the link to this thread, I seriously expected you to say you got a C in ochem or something).
 
B- in Pre-calc?! OF COURSE YOU SHOULD RETAKE IT!

🙄

Stop being so "pre-med".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
omg a b in precal. i got a C in pre cal in high school. and precal is waaaay harder than calculus. and i dont think precal is a pre-req for pharm school but dont quote me on that. i wish i had your gpa!!
 
ttran01 said:
omg a b in precal. i got a C in pre cal in high school. and precal is waaaay harder than calculus. and i dont think precal is a pre-req for pharm school but dont quote me on that. i wish i had your gpa!!

sorry your quoted. i agree. but yeah.

pre cal is way harder than calc. on my placement test i placed into precal but i got a 3 on the ap calc exam haha.
 
pharmwannebe2 said:
sorry your quoted. i agree. but yeah.

pre cal is way harder than calc. on my placement test i placed into precal but i got a 3 on the ap calc exam haha.

yeah haha you're right, its not that precalc is hard, its the no calculator thing that got me. thanks for all ur input, i guess ill hold off on retaking that.
 
Hey I know everyone is different but I made lots of A's and B's but had 7 C's and got into 3 pretty decent schools. I just made up for it by having kick butt EC's, LOR's, PS, and tons of experience.
 
GatorRxGirl said:
Hey I know everyone is different but I made lots of A's and B's but had 7 C's and got into 3 pretty decent schools. I just made up for it by having kick butt EC's, LOR's, PS, and tons of experience.

This post is very comforting 😀 !

Which schools were these if I might ask?? I'm applying everywhere, so I'm just a bit curious.
 
i.<3.pharmacy said:
This post is very comforting 😀 !

Which schools were these if I might ask?? I'm applying everywhere, so I'm just a bit curious.

South, Palm Beach Atlantic, and University of FL

Like I said, everyone is different. I can interview like a champ so that definatley helped me out. If you have any other questions about EC, LOR, and stuff feel free to ask! =)
 
Don't worry if it is only one class. Since the other classes show that you are A's student, you should be okay. I also had C+ for one class and I was fine.
 
Wow, I got a D (yeah, a D!) in calculus, and I still have a chance to get in.

I don't think your B+ should be a problem. :laugh: