One C-...

Started by tgtubbs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tgtubbs

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I'm currently a junior, so the time to start applying to grad schools is rolling around quickly. Unfortunately, I have one C- on my transcript courtesy of a doozy of an upper-level physics course. I have a decent gpa (~3.3) at an elite university studying in their school of kinesiology. On many of the DPT programs' websites, they state that applicants cannot have a grade lower than a "C." Now, I have emailed a few programs here and there about this. Most say that they're rigid with this demand, others say that they would absolutely accept a C-. So my question is, does a C- pose a serious threat to admittance into a DPT program? I am trying to decide whether I should spend the money necessary to retake the class to solely improve the grade without receiving credit.

Thanks in advance for any help!
 
Hey guys,

I'm currently a junior, so the time to start applying to grad schools is rolling around quickly. Unfortunately, I have one C- on my transcript courtesy of a doozy of an upper-level physics course. I have a decent gpa (~3.3) at an elite university studying in their school of kinesiology. On many of the DPT programs' websites, they state that applicants cannot have a grade lower than a "C." Now, I have emailed a few programs here and there about this. Most say that they're rigid with this demand, others say that they would absolutely accept a C-. So my question is, does a C- pose a serious threat to admittance into a DPT program? I am trying to decide whether I should spend the money necessary to retake the class to solely improve the grade without receiving credit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You should post this in the Pre-PT board (PT board is for current students), but a C- in upper level physics will not keep you out -- the only grades that must be a C or above are those for prerequisite classes (upper level physics would not be a prereq). Perhaps the policy is different for each school, so definitely check with each program you apply to -- be sure to indicated that the C- is for a non-prereq class when you ask.

My transcript has a D and 5 C's, none of which are for prereq classes, and I still got in to competitive programs.

Good luck!