SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

One for Rocky

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by tiggernater, Mar 24, 2007.

1. tiggernater

tiggernater Livin in the looney bin 2+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Well- I always told myself that I'd post something if I actually made it to Match day on this forum...:love:

It took me 2x to get into Med School. I was a poly Sci/ French Major at a UC school. Didn't decide to go to med school till Senior year. I was told I didn't have a shot. Best Advice I got and took was
    1- If you are in a "Competative state" (ie California) move to another state to get residency. Get state residency in ( example) W. Va, Louisiana, Arkansas, Ohio, or Texas. I was told that getting residency in one of those states would make things easier as the number of applicants in those states isn't as overwhelming.

2- The first time I didn't get in, I was waitlisted. As soon as I found that out I scheduled a 1 hour long phone conversation with the Dean of Admissions at that school. He told me what the board was looking for in your case. In my case they wanted more Hospital experience....So I went out the next day and got a job in Organ Transplant. I kept in contact with the school and was given an interview the next cycle. I wound up going somewhere else, but the feedback made it possible for me to go to the other school, which was my 1st choice. They also made me an offer. If I hadn't asked for that feedback, God knows where I'd be. Ask for it instead of speculating on why you didn't get in or were waitlisted!!!!!

3- FYI One of my best friends took 7 cycles to get in and ended up in the top 10 people in her class!!!! Getting in is not an indication of how well you will do!!!!!

Don't let the man get you down

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple 5+ Year Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Most of us here know this...and what man, where is he? I don't see any man.

4. RAD11

RAD11 5+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2004
    All I can say is wow! :eek:

5. Member 870

Member 870 The Member... 7+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2007
    The Mid-South
    Great advice. I'm an AR resident, and I was waitlisted for my state-school. Rejected at the 4 others I applied. I had a phone conv. w/the admin dean as well. Gave me advice I plan on following......I hope I'll be in your situation this time next year:luck: