One Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS_11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 7 schools, have an average DAT (21 AA, 21 TS, 19 PAT, 19 RC) and GPA (cGPA 3.79, sGPA 3.81). I applied fairly early in the cycle (had most applications submitted by mid-July/July end) and received application complete emails in the first week of August. I have received one interview so far and I am worried that it may be the only interview I receive. I understand that all we need is 1 to get into dental school but considering that I completed my applications early, I was hoping to receive a few more pre-December interviews. I have been Under Review at Case for 4 months, Penn for 3 months and Application Complete at Pittsburgh for 3 months. Is there any possibility for post-December interviews or should I prepare for rejections?

Any help would be appreciated.

* Applied as an International (Canada).

Members don't see this ad.

You should have applied to more than 7 schools since you're international. You have good stats but since you're international you have to either apply to a lot more or wayyy better than everyone else. What are the other schools that you applied to besides Case, Penn and Pitt?

Reactions: 1 user
You should have applied to more than 7 schools since you're international. You have good stats but since you're international you have to either apply to a lot more or wayyy better than everyone else. What are the other schools that you applied to besides Case, Penn and Pitt?
UDM, Temple, NYU and Michigan

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, congratulations on the interview! Sometimes dental schools will give out interview offers even after December so you may have to wait a bit longer. You have great DAT scores and a good GPA, so there is a chance you may get more offers. Good luck, we're crossing our fingers for you!

I understand how you feel since I’ve only had one interview too. I also agree with yaya97 that you need to apply to more than 7. Keep your fingers crossed about post December interviews, but prepare a plan for next year just in case. I would check around and find out how many international students get accepted each year to which schools. You might find other parts of the country may offer more slots for international. Good Luck.

I'm in the same boat. Honestly there's really only 3 schools that have a track record of taking a significant amount of canadians/int. Those would be udm nyu and bu. Sure theres the odd canadian at like Michigan or Pitt, but they usually have really high stats and are a really good fit for school. Temple and Case might be your best chance at an interview aside from the others mentioned.

I'm a Canadian with similar stats. I found that my expected schools for interview like Pitt or Rutgers or NYU or Temple did not contact me back.

International student too. I think theres still time to get post-December Interview so i wouldnt be too worried. I wanna say you maybe applied to few schools i guess. Thats one thing to keep in mind going forward.

First of all, congratulations on the interview! Sometimes dental schools will give out interview offers even after December so you may have to wait a bit longer. You have great DAT scores and a good GPA, so there is a chance you may get more offers. Good luck, we're crossing our fingers for you!

This account used to be for a pre-DAT testing course. Did you change the name to make it look like an actual individual?

I am a Canadian too, I have a 3.97 oGPA and 4.0 sGPA, 22 AA, 23TS, 23PAT, around 600 hours of dental shadowing and a publication + many more ECs/volunteerings and have had only 1 interview so far! I am just keeping my fingers crossed for post-dec interviews. :(

Reactions: 1 user
I am a Canadian too, I have a 3.97 oGPA and 4.0 sGPA, 22 AA, 23TS, 23PAT, around 600 hours of dental shadowing and a publication + many more ECs/volunteerings and have had only 1 interview so far! I am just keeping my fingers crossed for post-dec interviews. :(

Are you applying to Canadian schools with those stats? You really should consider it since the cost different is like 300k CAD.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I am late to this thread but I have talked to some Canadians studying in the States (5 of my friends who study at Pitt, UDM, NYU). I know its pure speculation but they received most of their interviews for Post-Dec (except UDM because they're famous for Pre-Dec interviews). It may be that they leave us at the end of the cycle for their own reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
You applied with very similar stats as me, and a similar time (I'm a Canadian applicant). You do have a chance for post-December interviews but as people mentioned you needed to apply to more schools as a Canadian. Also, many of my Canadian friends also had quite a few post-December interviews so don't give up.