MD Dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2001
Visit site
Status
Ok folks. I would like to bother you one last time, if I may. ERAS will be opening up soon and I need to make a decision. Please give me your honest feedback.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go into a clinical specialty or a non-clinical specialty. To be more specific, if I choose a clinical specialty I will choose EM. So my question is this: Now that you are in EM, do you regret having gone the clinical route where you can do many things for many people, but have to put up with all the headache that comes with clinical medicine, or do you wish you had gone into a non-clinical specialty which offers very little patient contact and very few of the headaches that come with it. Your help is much appreciated.

JackBauERfan

CTU Field Agent
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2002
Florida
www.myspace.com
Status
Attending Physician
I don't feel much headache in clinical medicine and its the only way I've always wanted to go. I think EM is very clinical oriented, but you don't necessarily have to be a people person to be ok, because you are not trying to build up a patient base or anything, they are always there.

southerndoc

life is good
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Atlanta
Status
Attending Physician
There is no way I could do anything other than clinical medicine. I couldn't imagine sitting in a lab or dark room for 12 hours at a time! I like to meet and interact with people, I like the satisfaction and immediate gratification when you stabilize someone, and I love the thank you's I get from patients.

How many pathologists or radiologists get thank you's from their patients? Very few.

Having said that, each has its own role in medicine, and each is necessary for proper patient care.

About the Ads

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
No regrets.

Residency had some serious headaches, but now that I'm finished I love my job more than ever. Sure I get frustrated by abusive patients, lazy staff and whatnot but no job is 100% joy.

If you really think clinical medicine just a headache you should seriously consider a nonclinical specialty. You've got to love what you do or you'll be miserable.

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
beyond all hope said:
No regrets.

Residency had some serious headaches, but now that I'm finished I love my job more than ever. Sure I get frustrated by abusive patients, lazy staff and whatnot but no job is 100% joy.

If you really think clinical medicine just a headache you should seriously consider a nonclinical specialty. You've got to love what you do or you'll be miserable.
Ditto! If you don't cringe at the thought of reading images or slides all day and if you don't need to be up all night doing neat things and saving lives, you're not an EP. Nothing wrong with the ROAD speciaties, but I'd slit my throat.

JackBauERfan

CTU Field Agent
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2002
Florida
www.myspace.com
Status
Attending Physician
BKN said:
Ditto! If you don't cringe at the thought of reading images or slides all day and if you don't need to be up all night doing neat things and saving lives, you're not an EP. Nothing wrong with the ROAD speciaties, but I'd slit my throat.
umm forgetting what does the A stand for there? all i can think of right now is allergy...

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
JackBauERfan said:
umm forgetting what does the A stand for there? all i can think of right now is allergy...
ROAD = Radiology, Ophthalmology, Anesthesiology, and Dermatology.

PIMPF = Pediatrics, Internal Med, Psychiatry, Family. ;) :thumbup:

JackBauERfan

CTU Field Agent
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2002
Florida
www.myspace.com
Status
Attending Physician
KentW said:
ROAD = Radiology, Ophthalmology, Anesthesiology, and Dermatology.

PIMPF = Pediatrics, Internal Med, Psychiatry, Family. ;) :thumbup:
thanks yeah anes is a big one, just forgot haha. where is EM in all this. all by itself (I don't mind being path involved; those are some interesting folks)

arrowsmith2

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2006
Status
BKN said:
...doing neat things and saving lives, ...
OP, is this how you want to describe, or maybe justify, your career choice in 15 years? "Neat things?"

Sometimes after you've invested so many years in something it's hard to admit that you'd do something else if given the opportunity to turn back time. Don't make the same mistake some of us have made. Pick something that'll make you truly happy in 15 years.

a_ditchdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2005
Detroit, Mi
Status
Resident [Any Field]
arrowsmith2 said:
OP, is this how you want to describe, or maybe justify, your career choice in 15 years? "Neat things?"

Sometimes after you've invested so many years in something it's hard to admit that you'd do something else if given the opportunity to turn back time. Don't make the same mistake some of us have made. Pick something that'll make you truly happy in 15 years.
*Sits quietly...a little uncomfortable with the silence...waiting...*

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status
Other Health Professions Student
BKN said:
Nothing wrong with the ROAD speciaties, but I'd slit my throat.
Never let it be said that you are anything but eloquent. :laugh:

Although I am not the OP, I can tell you I'd rather be up at 2am on a Saturday putting in a central line on someone who is crashing than spend a couple of hours on a Wednesday afternoon working my way through resected bowel chasing lymph nodes or the better part of my Monday morning looking at an abdominal film and trying to figure out whether a shadow is the last mortal remains of that burrito the patient ate last night or a tumor. So yes, give me "neat things" over cushy hours any day. :thumbup:

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
arrowsmith2 said:

At 30 years, I'm pretty happy, I'm sorry that you're not. Go retrain and make yourself so.

About the Ads