1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

one major question

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ambition05, Feb 16, 2007.

1. ambition05

ambition05 New Member

Hi.

I am in the process of deciding between med and dent.

I love all the aspects of dent.
    I consider myself as a family/friend person and I would like a job where it's fullfilling and at the same time allow me to spend time with family/friend. I shadowed dentists for quite some time and I think what they do is great. I think I see myself very happy as a dentist.
    But there's just this one thing that draws me back and make me consider medicine.
    That is the hand skill.
    I am not confident in hand skill and a lot of times I see my hand/fingers shaking and can't seem to hold still. This really makes me worry if I will be a great dentist because manual dexterity is required for being a good dentist. Should this prevent me from pursuing dent?
    Or am I being too worried when it's not something to worry about?

If I am not confident in hand skill, people might ask me how I could like dentistry. I like all the aspects of dent except this and it's just that I am worried about hand skill. As you know, sometimes what u wanna do doesn't coincide with the skill you have.

Any input or opinion, I would appreciate.
    I am really agonizing over what I should do (med or dent)
    and for dent, the hand skill is the only aspect I am worried about.
    But then the hand skill might be a big factor.
    And thus I am still having a hard time deciding.

2. PickMe

PickMe Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

you can always improve your manual dexterity-thats what the first 2 yrs of dental school involve anyway! just like any other hobby, ballet, piano, sports, etc., you suck at first. you work on it and you improve. hand skills are no different. dont let this stop you from what you want to do, you will just need to work extra hard during your pre-clinic courses.

3. Dr IWannaBe

Dr IWannaBe Class of 2012
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Maybe you could go get a model car that's very detailed and see how things turn out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. johntara04

johntara04 Member
    5+ Year Member

Motor motions are all about practice. Those who practice more, are better (99.9% of the time).

5. cocokeala

cocokeala katonk!
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i shadowed a dentist and i see his hands shaking. it makes me feel really nervous and i wouldnt want him working on my teeth but hes still a dentist and you could be too if you really wanted it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...