One MCAT score point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BDNF

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is every point the same in the adcom's eyes?

Which difference is greater.

a 30 versus a 29? or a 31 vs. a 30? or a 39 vs. a 40?

In my mind, a 30 is much much better than a 29. But a 31 and a 30 are about the same. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

with a 29 and 30 being the closest to the meat of the bell curve...the diff bw a 29 and 30 is the greatest.. 39 and 40 really doesnt matter.

I see the following as the same:

- 28, 29
- 30, 31
- 32 is in it's own ballpark
- 33+

Members don't see this ad :)
with a 29 and 30 being the closest to the meat of the bell curve...the diff bw a 29 and 30 is the greatest.. 39 and 40 really doesnt matter.

You are cute.

It depends on the school. If you are close to their average, every point counts. If you are far away, they don't matter as much.

I see the following as the same:

- 28, 29
- 30, 31
- 32 is in it's own ballpark
- 33+

seriously? are you saying...a 33 and 39 are basically the same thing? or am i misinterpreting this.

Returns are diminishing after about 39 so I would think anything above that is pretty trivial.

dam my 29 means **** then.

:(
Well the difference bw a 28 and 29 is greater than the difference bw a 29 and 30....but not as great as a 27 and 28.

A 29 is solid, in the MSAR it shows that more ppl get accepted than not with a 29 mcat score.

seriously? are you saying...a 33 and 39 are basically the same thing? or am i misinterpreting this.

If the average at Harvard is a 35, who the hell cares about a 39? You are either a socially inept genius, or a nerd with no life.

If the average at Harvard is a 35, who the hell cares about a 39? You are either a socially inept genius, or a nerd with no life.
:(

Btw I think harvard is now closer to a 37

no socially normal people get over a 35?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the difference bw a 28 and 29 is greater than the difference bw a 29 and 30....but not as great as a 27 and 28.

A 29 is solid, in the MSAR it shows that more ppl get accepted than not with a 29 mcat score.

hopefuldoc87: 1
Admissions process: 0

Regardless, if you're scoring within that percentile, there is something wrong with you; I hope I don't sound too judgmental, but I met a few while interviewing, and they stood out like an orange hat with a neon veil... intellectually and socially.

no socially normal people get over a 35?

No 35 is fine; but anything extremely close to a 40, doubt it. I knew a couple of people from my Undergraduate that ripped the MCAT, and the life experiences they brought out of college didn't even amount to their individual section scores.

I'm almost certain that with a 33, a high GPA, and good EC activities, you are equally as competitive as a 39er and have a chance at pretty much any school in the nation. So in the grand scheme of things, in my eyes there is little difference between a 33 and a 39

No 35 is fine; but anything extremely close to a 40, doubt it. I knew a couple of people from my Undergraduate that ripped the MCAT, and the life experiences they brought out of college didn't even amount to their individual section scores.
So let me get this straight?? If you score in the 95%ile of the MCAT you are normal, but once that bumps up to the 98 or 99%ile you are a social outcast??

Regardless, if you're scoring within that percentile, there is something wrong with you; I hope I don't sound too judgmental, but I met a few while interviewing, and they stood out like an orange hat with a neon veil... intellectually and socially.
Is that what interviewees do in their free time together??? talk about their MCAT scores??

Imma introduce myself as Mr 4.0 44T

So let me get this straight?? If you score in the 95%ile of the MCAT you are normal, but once that bumps up to the 98 or 99%ile you are a social outcast??

Well I know normal people who scored a 35, but I do not know of any who scored a 40. I'm just going off my own personal experiences; bitch all you want.

Calling chubbychaser a nerd with no life

thread-delivers.jpg

Then I guess I'm the exception? lol. I'm a social "ept", and my life experiences are great. I really dislike when people make statements like yours. It's shortsighted. To me, it's just a way to diminish someone elses accomplishments:
Of course they got a 40, they are socially inept!. Whatever.

For what it's worth, tons of awesome people at my school score well on the MCAT. Then again, there is also a good number of them that wouldn't know what to do with themselves a party where they've never met anyone, and couldn't talk their way out of a paper bag.

i mean, isn't that a pretty broad statement? everyone who scores 40+ = future unibomber?

what about smart people who take off 3-4 months and only study for the MCAT, couldn't they possibly bang out a 40, and still be "normal"? And if the difference between a 37 (which is the average at Harvard) and a 40 is only a few questions, I don't see with what basis you say that all 40+ ers are wierdos?

Isn't the 35-37 ballpark range for top ten schools? So if thats average...then it stands to reason that there are plenty of people at those schools in the 40 area. So does that mean that these schools are packed with socially-inept people?

oh yeah ps i get laid a lot, and im planning on getting a 40.

run dog0...run!

you're about to be bashed by all the 36+ MCATers!!!

33 is actually a bigger number than 39 didn't you know this?

Then I guess I'm the exception? lol. I'm a social "ept", and my life experiences are great. I hate it when people make statements like yours. To me, it's just a way to diminish someone elses accomplishments:
Of course they got a 40, they are socially inept!. Whatever.

For what it's worth, tons of cool people at my school score well on the MCAT. Then again, there is also a good number of them that wouldn't know what to do with themselves a party where they've never met anyone, and couldn't talk their way out of a paper bag.

I hope to meet some in August because I must admit, being judgmental isn't cute :)

Sticking with chubbychaser being socially inept!

33 is actually a bigger number than 39 didn't you know this?

OK let's say you have two applicants:

Joe - 33 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, Research, blah, blah, blah...
Bob - 39 MCAT, 3,9 GPA, Research, blah, blah, blah...

I think both have proven that they can perform above average on standardized exams. Do you really think Bob has that much of an advantage? Are ADCOMS seriously going to sit there and bitch above Joe being in the 9X% percentile, compared to the the 9X% percentile? Ehhhh, I doubt it.

I think both have proven that they can perform above average on standardized exams. Do you really think Bob has that much of an advantage?
hmmmm a standard deviation higher on the MCAT...I go with the 39 everytime, provided hes not socially inept:cool:

For my sake I hope 33 carries the weight you claim it does. GOOOOEEEE 33R!!

I think both have proven that they can perform above average on standardized exams. Do you really think Bob has that much of an advantage? Are ADCOMS seriously going to sit there and bitch above Joe being in the 9X% percentile, compared to the the 9X% percentile? Ehhhh, I doubt it.

you sound like a 25er, eh?

I apologize for giving the impression that I cared in this thread, I just wanted to make fun of chubbychaser ;)

hmmmm a standard deviation higher on the MCAT...I go with the 39 everytime, provided hes not socially inept:cool:

So why do schools like Michigan, JHU, Harvard have students with well below average MCAT scores. I am sure they can fill up their class with 39ers...

I cant believe I dint think of this earlier

Wash U!!! end of story.

you sound like a 25er, eh?

No, I was in the 30s, but not close to a 40.

And ehhhhhh, you sound like a PreMed who is desperately trying to get into med school... and well, I sound like someone who has already been accepted :) heheh.

So why do schools like Michigan, JHU, Harvard have students with well below average MCAT scores. I am sure they can fill up their class with 39ers...
well obviously the 39er decided to go to a cheaper state school, or the 33 had something special that the 39er didnt have.

No, I was in the 30s, but not close to a 40.

And ehhhhhh, you sound like a PreMed who is desperately trying to get into med school... and well, I sound like someone who has already been accepted :) heheh.

well, then you're a med student cruising a pre med forum at 2:30ish local time. that sure sounds very social! no wonder you didnt score 40!

i mean, isn't that a pretty broad statement? everyone who scores 40+ = future unibomber?

what about smart people who take off 3-4 months and only study for the MCAT, couldn't they possibly bang out a 40, and still be "normal"? And if the difference between a 37 (which is the average at Harvard) and a 40 is only a few questions, I don't see with what basis you say that all 40+ ers are wierdos?

Isn't the 35-37 ballpark range for top ten schools? So if thats average...then it stands to reason that there are plenty of people at those schools in the 40 area. So does that mean that these schools are packed with socially-inept people?

I believe so, but that is my own personal opinion. I'd much rather go to DUKE or Michigan than Harvard. They have an athletic department, plenty of school spirit within their undergraduate student body; consequently, there is life outside of the academic realm. A lot of Harvard MDs come from Ivy League schools. You cannot compare undergraduate life in Harvard to some random state school. Obviously, classes are a lot more rigurous at Harvard, the Greek system is a lot different, getting by with a fake in Boston I hear is quite difficult, there are no publicized sport events, and school spirit is solely limited to academics; I don't think there will ever be a Harvard BCS Championship shirt. Hence, I believe an Ivy Leage undergraduate student will experience less than your normal college student. Plus, a lot of those kids were the highschoolers who drowned themselves in SG, APs, and etc.

I am not saying all these students who eventually earn spots in top medical schools are like this, but a good amount of them have to be. Being social comes from a mixture of different life experiences; studying abroad, making mistakes, having fun, etc. I just don't see how on AVERAGE someone who went to an Ivy League school for undergraduate, busted their ass to score a 40 and have a competitive GPA, published 4,000 papers, and eventually went on to Harvard Med, had the time or opportunity to grow as a person. These people are nearly perfect...

Maybe I'm being ignorant, but I just don't see it... sorry.

I believe so, but that is my own personal opinion. I'd much rather go to DUKE or Michigan than Harvard. They have an athletic department, plenty of school spirit within their undergraduate student body; consequently, there is life outside of the academic realm. A lot of Harvard MDs come from Ivy League schools. You cannot compare undergraduate life in Harvard to some random state school. Obviously, classes are a lot more rigurous at Harvard, the Greek system is a lot different, getting by with a fake in Boston I hear is quite difficult, there are no publicized sport events, and school spirit is solely limited to academics; I don't think there will ever be a Harvard BCS Championship shirt. Hence, I believe an Ivy Leage undergraduate student will experience less than your normal college student. Plus, a lot of those kids were the highschoolers who drowned themselves in SG, APs, and etc.

I am not saying all these students who eventually earn spots in top medical schools are like this, but a good amount of them have to be. Being social comes from a mixture of different life experiences; studying abroad, making mistakes, having fun, etc. I just don't see how on AVERAGE someone who went to an Ivy League school for undergraduate, busted their ass to score a 40 and have a competitive GPA, published 4,000 papers, and eventually went on to Harvard Med, had the time or opportunity to grow as a person. These people are nearly perfect...

Maybe I'm being ignorant, but I just don't see it... sorry.

that is actually true. get drinking-related issues right, and you're on my side buddy. all is forgiven.

Perhaps I'm trying to hold out hope for myself, but what I have heard is that the total is less important than minimums in each section.

Obviously, a balanced 31 is better than any 29. Still, I've heard that you are better off with a 29 with nothing below 9 than a 32 with a 7 or an 8 somewhere.

I got a 35 and I'm normal. I know a girl with a 40 and she's normal too. The idea that people with high test scores are lacking somewhere else isn't all that true.

saying that everyone who scores in the 36+ range is socially inept is identical to saying that everyone who scores below a 30 is in idiot. Both are equally ridiculous (hell, I've met socially adept 42s and boorish 30s; I scored very highly and like to think I'm mostly normal), but why is it that the latter elicits so much stronger a response on this forum?