one more " my chances" thread.. IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctr1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

IMG
Step 1 = 220
Step 2=231

18 months pediatric residency at home country.

1 year research fellowship in one of the top 10 children's hospital in the US with Strong LOR from a faculty member there, working on the other one.
5 publications in pediatrics.

I am concerned about my step 1, I am applying broadly ,more than 120 programs, pediatrics only.

I will be more than happy with 5-10 IVs, is it possible? I know my chances are really slim in top tier university programs and maybe mid tier programs. How about community-based ones? and If I hopefully matched to one, will doing electives rotations away on top tier programs increase my chances to get a fellowship there?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Oldbearprofessor, waiting for your enlightening guidance :)

Members don't see this ad :)
There is much we don't know that will help decide. This includes your VISA status, exactly where you went to school and of course the nature of your whole application including all your letters. Also, we don't know how well you interview and your language/communication skills. Having said that, you have a fair chance at some academic programs that often take IMGs as well as community programs. Fellowship depends on which field. If it is one of the more competitive fields, it will be harder to match, but not impossible (again, VISA status may matter) at better known academic programs. Also, it depends not on away rotations which are rarely done in residency but on your performance during residency.

Thanks oldbearprofessor for your replay. I do need Visa, and thank you for bringing up this subject, why programs avoid applicants who need visa? even though the ECFMG office hand it most of the time?