One more organic question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knickerbocker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm expecting there to be nomenclature as well as questions on SN1/2 and E1/2... Should I hit the stereochemistry hard? I've read the test has "elementary organic," but I have no idea what they mean by that.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm expecting there to be nomenclature as well as questions on SN1/2 and E1/2... Should I hit the stereochemistry hard? I've read the test has "elementary organic," but I have no idea what they mean by that.

Elementary organic = Mostly first semester stuff.

I personally don't remember hard-core second semester stuff though there might have been some chiraility questions on the exam with basic stereochemistry. However, I don't remember the hardcore, multiple reaction processes that lead to a inversion of configuration. So, it's good to know how configuration changes after SN1, SN2, E1, E2. It's been almost a year since I took the PCAT, but I think you should be able to demonstrate knowledge of enantiomers and diasteriomers .

quite honestly, i took the test almost a year ago, and i know they have incoperated more organic since then, but when i took it, i had only completed less than 2 months of organic... i dont think we even got to substitution/elimination yet! and all the questions were almost just common sense... just know R/S and the basic functional groups...