One more pre-req class in the fall, more classes, other options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aelius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have two pre-reqs left. Physics II and Organic Chemistry II. I plan to take Physics II in the summer since I want to take the same professor that I took Physics I with and he isn't teaching in the fall.

That only leaves Organic Chemistry II left for the fall. I plan to take the last old MCAT in Jan 2015 and apply for matriculation in Fall 2016.
I'm weighing my options as to what to do for the fall. (I cannot take Biochemistry as Organic Chemistry II is a pre-req for that).

1. Just take Organic Chemistry II, take a research position and focus on MCAT studying.

2. Take Organic Chemistry II in addition take two upper-level graduate Biology classes, such as Neuroanatomy, Embryology, take a research position, and obviously do my MCAT studying. Or maybe take a mid-level biology course like Physiology as I heard that could help doing MCATs.

I already have 200+ hours of volunteer clinical work (was done 2+ years ago when I was debating if I should take on the med path or not). I plan to add shadowing and volunteering after I take the MCAT in Jan 2015. Or do you folks think I should get started on that as soon as possible (I'm a bit worried about my gap in volunteer time since I haven't done that in 2+ years)?

I am very interested in furthering my scientific curiosity. I was thinking doing a one-year master's degree or working in a research lab during my glide year. Hence, my desire in taking more upper-division classes at the moment.

What do you folks think? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, it depends on your stats. If you have a solid cGPA/sGPA, go with option 1 and rock the MCAT. If your cGPA/sGPA is suffering, definitely go with option 2. I would suggest getting some regular health-related volunteer work in, even if it is once a week for 3-4 hours. Research is a nice addition to any application, but it will hurt you if it interferes with your studies or MCAT prep. Doing research over a gap year is an excellent idea. Bonus points if you can produce a publication.

I'm currently sitting at a cGPA of 3.4 and a sGPA of 3.5.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very interested in furthering my scientific curiosity. I was thinking doing a one-year master's degree or working in a research lab during my glide year. Hence, my desire in taking more upper-division classes at the moment.

One year for an MS isn't impossible but it's tight. You'll need to realize this will shave down the number of programs you can go to, and you'll need to make sure you get told that finishing their program in a year is possible.

I would consider graduate certificates if I was you. These are programs that are much more reasonable to finish in one year. My fiancee spent her glide year before her PharmD getting a cert for Infectious Disease Control. Telling people about that catches a lot of attention and always draws questions about her background. It's also extremely helpful given that she wants to do her residency in infectious disease.

I'm currently sitting at a cGPA of 3.4 and a sGPA of 3.5.

I'd say take the extra classes if you are interested in MD. For most DO schools you well set on that front.

Hi,

I currently have two pre-reqs left. Physics II and Organic Chemistry II. I plan to take Physics II in the summer since I want to take the same professor that I took Physics I with and he isn't teaching in the fall.

That only leaves Organic Chemistry II left for the fall. I plan to take the last old MCAT in Jan 2015 and apply for matriculation in Fall 2016.
I'm weighing my options as to what to do for the fall. (I cannot take Biochemistry as Organic Chemistry II is a pre-req for that).

1. Just take Organic Chemistry II, take a research position and focus on MCAT studying.

2. Take Organic Chemistry II in addition take two upper-level graduate Biology classes, such as Neuroanatomy, Embryology, take a research position, and obviously do my MCAT studying. Or maybe take a mid-level biology course like Physiology as I heard that could help doing MCATs.

I already have 200+ hours of volunteer clinical work (was done 2+ years ago when I was debating if I should take on the med path or not). I plan to add shadowing and volunteering after I take the MCAT in Jan 2015. Or do you folks think I should get started on that as soon as possible (I'm a bit worried about my gap in volunteer time since I haven't done that in 2+ years)?

What do you folks think? Thanks.

Would certainly take physiology, its immensely helpful. Im taking MCAT without orgo 2 and it doesnt seem to bad as im studying