one science course in person/one science course online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobd2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone can offer advice it will be greatly appreciated. In Spring 2015 I plan to take Organic Chem in a classroom (4 yr university), and Physics 2 online. Is this a good idea or should I wait until the summer to take Physics 2 in the classroom as well.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can take it live, it's better to take it live. You're going to have to take the accompanying physics II lab live anyway, right? Or do they offer that online as well?

As much as I'm against online chemistry or bio labs (no way you can properly learn those subjects without getting your hands dirty), an online physics II lab might actually make sense if they had well-designed tutorials that would let you manipulate equation variables and see what happens to the system you're perturbing. Could totally see it working for E & M, optics, etc. And it's not like anyone really understands quantum mechanics in real life anyway. :p

If you can take it live, it's better to take it live. You're going to have to take the accompanying physics II lab live anyway, right? Or do they offer that online as well?

As much as I'm against online chemistry or bio labs (no way you can properly learn those subjects without getting your hands dirty), an online physics II lab might actually make sense if they had well-designed tutorials that would let you manipulate equation variables and see what happens to the system you're perturbing. Could totally see it working for E & M, optics, etc. And it's not like anyone really understands quantum mechanics in real life anyway. :p

Thanks for the info. I believe the Physics II lab is online as well. Another possibility is to take the lecture online (Spring 2015) and wait to take the lab over the Summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it depends on how strong a student you are (self motivation, etc), because Orgo is no cake walk and Physics II is also challenging. Whenever there is an online class, and I have taken a few online bio classes, I never remember anything I learn from the online class - like maybe 10% of the material. For me, there is something about engaging with others in my class and the teacher, just hearing it form a live person and talking about it really solidifies the information. If you're taking the class to just get an A, online might be fine, if you really want to understand on a deep level the complex relationships (for the MCAT etc), then I would suggest taking it in person, if your schedule permits. Better to get an A in orgo and physics over 2 sems than 2 Bs in one sem, imo.

online classes require self discipline and you need to ensure you keep up to date with assignment dates or you may have an "oh sh**" moment when you realize 3 assignments are due before midnight and you were about to go to sleep lol.

a hybrid course would be better, but if you have to do it online then do it online.

I would say it depends on how strong a student you are (self motivation, etc), because Orgo is no cake walk and Physics II is also challenging. Whenever there is an online class, and I have taken a few online bio classes, I never remember anything I learn from the online class - like maybe 10% of the material. For me, there is something about engaging with others in my class and the teacher, just hearing it form a live person and talking about it really solidifies the information. If you're taking the class to just get an A, online might be fine, if you really want to understand on a deep level the complex relationships (for the MCAT etc), then I would suggest taking it in person, if your schedule permits. Better to get an A in orgo and physics over 2 sems than 2 Bs in one sem, imo.

Good advice, thanks

online classes require self discipline and you need to ensure you keep up to date with assignment dates or you may have an "oh sh**" moment when you realize 3 assignments are due before midnight and you were about to go to sleep lol.

a hybrid course would be better, but if you have to do it online then do it online.

Hybrid course?