One Year Later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted707139

I posted on here almost a year to the day asking for advice as my GPA had slipped majorly in the middle of undergrad (going to finish up with a cGPA between 3.4-3.5 and sgpa between 3.3-3.4). What I thought was just a major depression issue turned out to be an undiagnosed congenital condition that required an immediate major surgery. Had to take another semester off to recover and make sure the surgery actually accomplished what it was supposed to (it did- I feel almost completely normal again for the first time in 4-5 years). I'm not constantly exhausted or having panic attack symptoms anymore. My doctor who caught the issue was pretty adamant about getting the surgery right away, despite being in the middle of school. Apparently I really needed my heart fixed in order to live.

At this point I'm taking a heavy courseload through the rest of undergrad and working on my EC's on the side. I feel confident in my ability to keep all A's/B's the rest of my undergrad career (graduate spring 2020), however I'm concerned that the dip in the middle is going to be tough to explain. Mathematically I think I'd have to take an absurd number of courses at a 4.0 to get above a 3.5. Planning on taking the MCAT spring 2020 and applying that cycle depending on how strong I feel my EC's are at that point. Am I looking at an SMP or does it seem like I have a chance without it?

Thanks in advance for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

You had a real medical issue with real surgery. Your dip will be fine. Stop focusing on your overall GPA and just focus on semester GPA. With solid grade trend trends and good MCAT will be fine. A one sentence explanation at most in PS is all that would be needed, though I could think of a very engaging PS opening with something like "As a premed, I never expected to be in the 'heart' of surgery with my heart." open with just a few lines on that and move on to why medicine.

Man! That was an epic pun intended type of thing. Where do you come up with these?