One Year Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Class2013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a one year master's program in science or healthcare? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know of a one year master's program in science or healthcare? Thank you.

I believe 2 years is the least duration of time it takes to complete the required amount of credits for a post-bacc, at least to my best understanding.
If it were one year then most undergrads would be eager to jump on.

I did a One Year Master's in Biochem. at Georgetown Univ., PM if you have questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe there is a public health (1 yr) one at USF in Tampa. I heard it's mostly or all online. I might be wrong, but you should google that.

I believe 2 years is the least duration of time it takes to complete the required amount of credits for a post-bacc, at least to my best understanding.
If it were one year then most undergrads would be eager to jump on.

Bad info :rolleyes:

Search around here there is a whole subforum dedicated to it
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71

I am currently doing a one year MS of cell and molecular bio at Tulane

Hey Jake,

I am interested in the one at Tolune also, do you mind if I PM for some questions?

Yeah no problem, next two weeks are the first round of midterms but I will get to them or send them over to the program coordinator if I get too bogged down.

Hey guys,
I heard some postbacs, including Georgetown and Tulane accept individual reference letters for professional schools. Does anyone know how to submit AADSAS reference letters to these programs?

Thank you everyone for your input. Any additional information is welcomed. I will pm some of you for more information.

Barry Univ. has a one year Masters in Biomedical Science.

University of Florida has an M.S. program in Human Nutrition that you can finish within one year (August to August) if you load up on a lot of classes per semester and choose the non-thesis option. Thats what I did last year.

Barry University also has an M.S. program, as phungy mentioned, in biomedical sciences. If you get into the option-1 program, you start in August and finish in July. Again, this is a non-thesis master's program. And this is what I'm doing this year.

Many master's degrees at British universities only take one year. It often works out to be cheaper, tuition-wise, though the exchange rate would hurt. This would also be a great experience!

They like foreign (non-EU) students because they pay higher tuition rates, compared to British and EU students. :idea:

Here's an example: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Biological-Sciences/Research/MSc/index.html
Cost (tuition only): 12,785 pounds = ~$18,331 USD

Last edited:
University of Florida has an M.S. program in Human Nutrition that you can finish within one year (August to August) if you load up on a lot of classes per semester and choose the non-thesis option. Thats what I did last year.

Barry University also has an M.S. program, as phungy mentioned, in biomedical sciences. If you get into the option-1 program, you start in August and finish in July. Again, this is a non-thesis master's program. And this is what I'm doing this year.

UF no longer offers this non-thesis MS in Nutrition - I believe now you can only get your Ph.D. in this department.

It's too bad they closed the program - as all but 1 predent in this program got into dental school (a few of the predents got into UFCD). During the short duration that the program was open, 20 out of 22 prehealth students got into health professional schools. Of the two that didn't make it - one went on to another MS program, and the other got a really good job.

Many master's degrees at British universities only take one year. It often works out to be cheaper, tuition-wise, though the exchange rate would hurt. This would also be a great experience!

They like foreign (non-EU) students because they pay higher tuition rates, compared to British and EU students. :idea:

Here's an example: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Biological-Sciences/Research/MSc/index.html
Cost (tuition only): 12,785 pounds = ~$18,331 USD
very interesting, have you finished the program? Or do you know if anyone are doing the program? How was/is it?

It would probably be best to do your 1-yr masters in the states and not abroad. Schools will be familiar with the curriculum and will have actually heard of the program. BU, Tulane, Midwestern, UMDNJ, Tufts are the schools that I can remember that accept pre-dental students. Check out the postbac forum for more information.

Last edited:
Hey TerpFan? are you in the program right now or starting this Fall?

Last edited: