Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

One year of Calc or one semester?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KEGaker, Dec 10, 2008.

1. KEGaker

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I'm new here, but I'm registering for classes next semester and wasn't sure if I should take one year of calc or just one semester for med school. I haven't done that well in Calc this semester, so I was thinking maybe instead of taking Calc II I would just take Applied Calc. I've heard so many mixed opinions.. i just want to get this figured out. Thanks!

2. Skeptrix

Skeptrix should be studying ..
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi KEGaker,

i was thinking about taking 2 semesters of Calc but realized that my major required just the minimum (applied calc) for a BA in Biology, which was my major. i just wanted to get rid of it, as i'm not that good in math LoL. i had alot of other things going on, esp. studying for the mcats, so i didn't want to prolong taking yet another semester of calc.

if you're interested in math though, you should definitely think about a year of it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Few med schools require calculus, and of those that do, only a couple require a full year of it (IIRC Harvard and WUSTL do, but look it up for yourself). Virtually all med schools require one to 2 semesters of college math, that can include calculus and stats...no need to take more than necessary, especially if you don't like it or don't do well in it...

Somebody may be able to provide you with the link, but you really need to move away from premed "opinions" and into the land of facts - med schools list their reqs on their websites, and this info can be found in numerous places such as the MSAR...

4. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Depends on where you're planning on applying. If you think you want to apply to one or a few of the schools that require calcII, then take it. If not save yourself the trouble.

5. poiuyt123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I thought about this too but since most schools don't really require two semesters, I decided not to take it. Besides, I heard Calc 2 is hard and I suck at math so I avoided it. Instead I'm taking stats next semester because its required for my major.

6. ChemEngMD

ChemEngMD No need to hide behind private profiles
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I've taken Calc I, II, & III along with Differential Equations & Linear Algebra .... Calc II was easily the most difficult...avoid it lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. NiCad089

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The more calculus the better!!

-Math majors will rule the planet

8. iduwanna

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was only planning to take the first semester, but the instructor was amazing and the techniques you learn are fricken powerful!

So, I decided to take the second half (which is quite a bit tougher), but I would definitely reccomend getting the whole story (not just the intro). If you start a task, IMO, you should complete it.

Calc is some powerful stuff and this is probably your only chance to learn it!

I wholeheartedly concur with the first statement, but the concomitant personality disorders may interfere with the latter:love:

9. Chemdude

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Really? I found tht Calc II was easier than Calc III. Calc II was just integration and its applications/series towards the end. Nothing too conceptual. Calc III was very concept-based and there were a lot of topics covered. Yeah, the first couple of topics were easy(Vectors and such), but then the double/triple integrals could be really confusing. Vector calculus could also be a toughy.

10. NiCad089

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some people think that Calc II is hard because its just a different way of thinking. Calc 3 is basically just Calc I and II applied to more than one variable. I thought that calc 3 was the most the most interesting.