One Year?

Started by Katatonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Katatonic

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Took another long break from this forum and am now in a better place to take a run at med school. I'll be 25 in a couple weeks and finally had the realization sink in that this isn't going to happen by accident so I better get my act together.

My main question now is, with no real EC experience yet (no volunteering or shadowing) is one year enough time to make a serious application? I figure with taking the MCAT early next year and starting my shadowing and volunteering ASAP I could have a decent amount but am curious about other Non-Trad experiences in this regard, and whether 2 years is a more realistic plan.

Thanks for any advice, I've essentially quit every time I get serious about applying, but am much more focused at this point.

Minor Background: I've spent 2 years in academic research and one in private biotech thus far, with one paper published and one first author paper in the works about to be submitted.. I plan on applying to both DO and MD schools when the time comes.
 
Do you have any classes to take?

If you're done with the academic requirements, I think a year is enough time to get quality clinical experiences. If you're trying to do the classes too then a year is probably unrealistic.
 
The typical applicant has a t least 100 hrs volunteering, and some 20-50 hrs shadowing, so I'd say yes, it's doable.

Took another long break from this forum and am now in a better place to take a run at med school. I'll be 25 in a couple weeks and finally had the realization sink in that this isn't going to happen by accident so I better get my act together.

My main question now is, with no real EC experience yet (no volunteering or shadowing) is one year enough time to make a serious application? I figure with taking the MCAT early next year and starting my shadowing and volunteering ASAP I could have a decent amount but am curious about other Non-Trad experiences in this regard, and whether 2 years is a more realistic plan.

Thanks for any advice, I've essentially quit every time I get serious about applying, but am much more focused at this point.

Minor Background: I've spent 2 years in academic research and one in private biotech thus far, with one paper published and one first author paper in the works about to be submitted.. I plan on applying to both DO and MD schools when the time comes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you have any classes to take?

If you're done with the academic requirements, I think a year is enough time to get quality clinical experiences. If you're trying to do the classes too then a year is probably unrealistic.

Thanks, I don't have any classes to take, all the pre-reqs were taken care of in undergrad. An argument could be made to take classes to raise my not-so-good GPA (3.37) but it wouldn't affect it greatly at this point.
 
Thanks, I don't have any classes to take, all the pre-reqs were taken care of in undergrad. An argument could be made to take classes to raise my not-so-good GPA (3.37) but it wouldn't affect it greatly at this point.
Start busting out the shadowing and volunteering hours. Maybe take some classes to raise your GPA. It's doable. I got all my shadowing and volunteering done while in graduate school...it's coursework time now. Good luck.