Online and mobile resources in other countries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drkoma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm doing some research into what electronic resources medical students and professionals in different parts of the world use most frequently. Specifically when it comes to treatment guidelines and recommendations.

I've understood that UpToDate and Medscape seem to be two of the most used and trusted resources on the US market. Both when it comes to their Web-resources and their smartphone applications.

I would love to get some insight into what resources are used at hospitals and medical schools around the world.
Do you use UpToDate and Medscape or other english-language databases or mobile apps?
Are there any similar resources aimed specifically for medical professionals of a specific region? Or perhaps in another language?

How widespread is smartphone usage as a tool in clinical practice in wards or the emergency department?

I look forward to your answers!

Members don't see this ad.

UpToDate and Medscape are good for a wide variety of information. I just started internship and use them quite a bit. Another resource I just learning about for chest x-rays is linked below. At my program we are responsible for reading our own chest x-rays and abdominal films at night. The cross sectional imaging is covered by nighthawk. I was worried about putting a chest tube into someone that doesn't actually have a pneumothorax. I use an iPad during wards as I can access both online media and my iBooks. One of the secondary benefits is that my attending was impressed by it the other day. I was trying to explain chest anatomy on an x-ray using the ibook to one of the medical students on the rotation and he happen to see it. He liked it so much he may actually try and get an iPad for the interns so they can use it while on wards.

https://itunes.apple.com/book/fundam...ign-mpt=uo=1

Today, most health workers at the service delivery level use
paper-based systems to track individuals who have been
vaccinated and the vaccines and other resources used during the
process of immunization. Health workers then report these data
through monthly, aggregated reports to supervisors who use
themto monitor and evaluate key performance indicators such as
immunization coverage, child dropout rates, and vaccine wastage.