Online application wanted my GPA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rph3664

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have NEVER been asked for that. It was a small rural hospital with almost 100 openings, two of them for pharmacists, and when I saw that, it somewhat explained why.

I didn't fill it out. It's about 200 miles from where I live anyway.

BTW, last week I did have another interview and I thought it went pretty well. They did tell me that they probably won't notify me one way or another for several weeks, and also that they interview and hire people, not resumes.

:xf: :cool:

ETA: I have no idea what my college GPAs were, none whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Imagine if they asked for your high school GPA :smack:

Members don't see this ad :)
Imagine if they asked for your high school GPA :smack:

They did! Interestingly, I do remember it because I saw it as I graduated with honors (as, truthfully, did most of us). It was 3.43; I had a bad freshman year (let's not go there :( ).

I didn't WANT to know my college GPA, trust me. It got me into and through pharmacy school and that was all I cared about. I have them from 3 colleges: a semester when I was 18, and then community college and pharmacy school when I was in my mid to late 20s.

For some of you younger posters, my high school GPA may seem low, but at the time, 4.0 was the highest you could go; I graduated in 1981. Nowadays, most high schools allow qualified students to take college classes for credit, and they and AP classes are often weighted on a 5-point scale.

Just because someone has a high GPA doesn't mean they can do the job. My pharmacy class' valedictorian was someone I would be privileged to work with, but the V of the classes before and after me were another story altogether. I once spent some time at a convention with the salutatorian of the class 2 years ahead of me, and she was a really bad alcoholic. She had worked at Walgreens for almost 10 years and was initially promised a pharmacist job after graduation, and when I realized she was an alcoholic, immediately knew why they rescinded this offer.

I agree I think it's about the passion of work and how intellectual you are in applying your skills efficiently. But yeah maybe they are comparing other pharmacists that they have interviewed? I don't really know how it works I'm still a pre-pharm, but I hope you get the job!

I've had hospitals, industry, and academic positions ask for my GPA.

I think this is a sign of the times we live in. Everyone graduates pharmacy school with a PharmD, it no longer holds any value among pharmacists and employers. A GPA is a quick and easy way to sort out applicants, which is sometimes annoying. Imagine if ACCP succeeds in having everyone complete a two year residency! Pharmacists will be bending over backwards to do even more stuff to separate themselves from the pack.

More importantly though, you have work experience. Its one thing to be able to say you can do a job effectively versus someone who has done a job effectively. Emphasize that.

It brings up the issue of having a board exam that not only decides if we are licensed or not but ranks us in a standardized way. I'm sorry but my grade is a lot harder to get at UB when compared to a diploma mill

It brings up the issue of having a board exam that not only decides if we are licensed or not but ranks us in a standardized way. I'm sorry but my grade is a lot harder to get at UB when compared to a diploma mill

this. we need some sort of USMLE type exam so employers/residency programs can actually see who knows their stuff. I think it's even more vital due to the varying curricula among all 125 or so pharmacy schools. Not sure if I can see this happening anytime soon though.