SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Online Chemistry Course

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by knghtlfe, Jun 1, 2008.

1. knghtlfe

Jun 1, 2008
    Has anyone taken any online Organic Chemistry and/or Biochemistry course? Oregon State is offering the Organic Chem course this fall and I am interesting in enrolling because off my schedule.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jspwinter

jspwinter 2+ Year Member

Sep 21, 2007
    I wouldn't recommend it.
  4. CrazyFox

CrazyFox Ex-Pre-Pharmie 2+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2007
    As far as I have heard you can't take science classes online if it is a pre req. They just wouldn't accept it.
  5. tootoo30

tootoo30 Account Closed! 5+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2007
    I took General Chemistry I online and received an A. My transcript doesn't say anything about it being an online class, it just shows up like a regular class. Now I heard that Organic is mainly memorization, don't know for sure because I'm taking it this fall, but your the only one that really knows what you can and and cannot handle online. You could always enroll and if you figure that you can't handle it, drop it before the drop date, so the W doesn't show up.

6. SexyPlexi

SexyPlexi 2+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    There should be a lab section for Organic Chem. MY top choice school won't accept online science courses with lab kits. The lab has to be in class. You should look into that really well before you go that route.
  7. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE! Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I would contact all the schools you are interested in applying to before you enroll in an online chemistry class, I could easily see a school not counting an online organic class. Also, you wouldn't really be doing yourself any favors by taking it online because although I usually support online classes, orgo is definitely a core class that you should learn well the first time, and I don't think that an online class would really teach it to you that well. Could you do a night class with your schedule?
  8. tootoo30

tootoo30 Account Closed! 5+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Your right, I had to go to school for the lab portion of the class. I only did the lecture online.
  9. tharper14

tharper14 P1.5 2+ Year Member

Jan 19, 2008
    I took ochem via distance a long time ago... for lab I had to go to the school for 5 days and do all the labs in those 5 days. I wouldn't recommend it. I did horribly (not labs... the actually class). I recently took the class again in a classroom and although it wasn't easy, it was so much more easier to understand. I could ask questions and have them answered... via distance, you're on your own. If you don't understand something you can try emailing the professor and they'll get back to you about a week later, but it's hard to explain something by email. It's tough. My advice... ochem is not the kind of class you what to take online. Leave the online classes for history or government, something with mostly a reading component.

Oh yeah... same for biochem. Took that by distance as well. It's not as bad as ochem but biochem 2 gets into a lot of detail and I was a little lost. Again, I wouldn't take it online.