General Admissions & OTCAS Online Classes for Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Urban25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are online courses weighted differently or discouraged for undergrad with the intention of applying for OT school? I just changed my major from nursing to integrative health and will have about 1.5 years left before completion. I'm a mother of a toddler and young infant... with a husband in the military as a Physician Assistant... so taking as many online courses as possible is very appealing. I have already completed the prerequisites in classroom. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Are online courses weighted differently or discouraged for undergrad with the intention of applying for OT school? I just changed my major from nursing to integrative health and will have about 1.5 years left before completion. I'm a mother of a toddler and young infant... with a husband in the military as a Physician Assistant... so taking as many online courses as possible is very appealing. I have already completed the prerequisites in classroom. Thank you in advance!

I took a couple of online classes to meet prereqs. I took a psychology and medical terminology. If they are taken at an accredited community college or university, they are graded the same as the courses taken on campus. I don't recommend taking online A&P since the labs have to be on-campus.

Usually it doesn't matter. I took a few online prereqs because they were more convenient and cheaper and I got accepted to schools. There are some programs out there that don't accept online courses (tufts, for example), and some programs that don't accept certain online classes (like A&P or Bio). So just check with the schools you plan on applying to before you enroll in any online courses!

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually it doesn't matter. I took a few online prereqs because they were more convenient and cheaper and I got accepted to schools. There are some programs out there that don't accept online courses (tufts, for example), and some programs that don't accept certain online classes (like A&P or Bio). So just check with the schools you plan on applying to before you enroll in any online courses!

Would you recommend just calling the school's admission office? ... Or is that type of thing usually listed on the school's FAQ's page?

Would you recommend just calling the school's admission office? ... Or is that type of thing usually listed on the school's FAQ's page?
Usually it's listed under the prereqs on each program's page. If you're unsure then definitely call or shoot them any email though. Better safe than sorry!

I would say take your sciences in person, but most other classes can probably be taken online without an issue. Most of the time if the school has any restrictions you will find it on the pre reqs page. If you are in question, you can call or email the school and they can tell you if there are any restrictions.

Hey,

So, I studied Psych so most of my Psychology pre-reqs were done in person (I think I took Lifespan Development and Abnormal online). But I took Kines, Intro to Biology, A&PI and A&PII all online as well. Most of the schools I was looking into didn't care, but some did so it doesn't hurt to ask. I am going to OT school this fall, so it ended up working out.

I think A&P is even harder online because you essentially have to teach yourself most of the material, and you HAVE to know your stuff to pass the test (most exams are proctored anyway). You don't have the benefit of being in a study group, and you gotta do all the labs on your own (I bought a fetal pig, kidney, an eye, a heart, etc and had to manage to get them done, take pictures and send them to the professors. Just because they are online, doesn't mean that they are a cakewalk and schools get that. So ask!