online classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habeansha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know anything about taking online classes? I really need microbiology to get into pharmacy school next year but it is not offered next semester at my university and the alternatives conflict with other classes i need.

Members don't see this ad.

some schools don't accept online classes, check with the ones you are applying to

Would you be taking microbiology online? Wouldn't you need a lab section with that?

You should definitely check with the schools you are applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know anything about taking online classes? I really need microbiology to get into pharmacy school next year but it is not offered next semester at my university and the alternatives conflict with other classes i need.

The CC that I attend offers it online, but you have to go in for the lab. The school that I am applying to does not require the lab, just the class. As for as the school not accepting online classes, I have taken many online classes and its not like the transcript states "these classes were taken online!" they show up just like a regular class, so how does a school know that you took it online?

Good point, I dont think they would know. I would take it online if you cant wait until next semester.

www.weber.edu Weber State University offers an online Microbiology course. I don't know that a lab component is a requirement for Micro as it is for some of the other science classes. Look into it. I've taken some online courses from here, and I've been impressed with the way they're structured.

St. Petersburg College in Florida has a teleweb/online course that includes the lab. There will be two professors teaching next semester (Spring 2008/Session II 2007-2008). Their pages do not have updated information for the upcoming term, but will definitely give you an idea of what their courses are like.

Nichole Crespo: http://it.spcollege.edu/course_info/inquiry.cfm?number=338

Jean Citron: http://it.spcollege.edu/course_info/inquiry.cfm?number=839

Class Sections Find 1-6 of 6

Class Nbr Subject Catlg Nbr Sect Description Units Comp Status Avail Wait

2586 MCB 2010 10 Microbiology 3 LEC Open 16 0

Important Information
Session: Regular

Time: Room: Dates:
TBA EC-TVWB 01/07/2008 - 05/02/2008

Instructor:
Citron,Jean M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

920 MCB 2010 5 Microbiology 3 LEC Open 10 0

Important Information

Instructor:
Crespo,Nichole C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2499 MCB 2010 9 Microbiology 3 LEC Open 14 0

Important Information

Instructor:
Citron,Jean M

925 MCB 2010L 10 Microbiology Laboratory 1 LAB Open 7 0

Important Information

Instructor:
Crespo,Nichole C

2500 MCB 2010L 19 Microbiology Laboratory 1 LAB Open 7 0

Important Information

Instructor:
Citron,Jean M

2587 MCB 2010L 20 Microbiology Laboratory 1 LAB Open 29 0

Important Information

Instructor:
Citron,Jean M

Yes, I have taken some online classes--my situation is slightly different--I've taken these classes and labs before, but needed a refresher since I took these courses years ago. So the online course are a great alternative. The University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine has several online courses to choose from, including Microbiology....Do a google search on the school--put the schools name in and "Distance Education"...They should have a link and more information

www.weber.edu Weber State University offers an online Microbiology course. I don't know that a lab component is a requirement for Micro as it is for some of the other science classes. Look into it. I've taken some online courses from here, and I've been impressed with the way they're structured.

I attend Weber State, they do require a lab portion for micro 2054. Sorry.
As far as online classes go though, as long as you complete the lab portion in person I think you are probably fine (of course dont take my word for it). Check with your school, and see how it will post to your transcript. If it posts the same way that it would if you took it in person, then I dont see how it could be an issue.

I got a whole BS degree online. Trust me it shows up just like regular classes!

THanks for the reassurance!!!! They do still post the same, and I think when I looked at the Pharmcas application, you might have to indicate whether it was taken online or not...not for sure on this one, though! :)

I got a whole BS degree online. Trust me it shows up just like regular classes!

THanks for the reassurance!!!! They do still post the same, and I think when I looked at the Pharmcas application, you might have to indicate whether it was taken online or not...not for sure on this one, though! :)

Nope Pharmcas does not require you to state online or not I just finished my application with them in case I decided to go somewhere other than Xavier next year.

Nope Pharmcas does not require you to state online or not I just finished my application with them in case I decided to go somewhere other than Xavier next year.[/QU

Well, wasn't sure--I thought I had read that in some of the PharmCas instructions, but I guess I was wrong...
Thanks

I attend Weber State, they do require a lab portion for micro 2054. Sorry.
As far as online classes go though, as long as you complete the lab portion in person I think you are probably fine (of course dont take my word for it). Check with your school, and see how it will post to your transcript. If it posts the same way that it would if you took it in person, then I dont see how it could be an issue.

That's cool that you attend there. I was thinking of a couple courses that were offered online. Again, I didn't think that Microbiology required a lab component for pharmacy school purposes but I can be wrong.

They have MICR 3603 and MICR LS1113, although they are 3 semester hour courses...

Nope Pharmcas does not require you to state online or not I just finished my application with them in case I decided to go somewhere other than Xavier next year.

You should have put distance learning under classification in the coursework portion of your PharmCas.

I took microbio online during last summer and took the lab portion on campus last spring.

It´s not been a problem.

I lucked out and got into the (normally booked solid) online public speaking class. :cool:

can't wait to see how that plays out

I lucked out and got into the (normally booked solid) online public speaking class. :cool:

FYI, UF counts only in class Public Speaking (they are very specific about that)

I had to take some online courses due to my schedule. I had 3 bad experiences with them...I feel the teachers get (or already are) lazy and its harder to get the full experience.

I avoided them for any of the subjects that are on the PCAT. :twocents:

Aren't you being dishonest when you report a class and don't say it was taken online? Even if there is no marking on your transcript, all online classes should be marked as distance learning on PharmCAS. I took some prereq courses online since I work full-time and found out after the fact that USC doesn't accept any online courses which sucked big time. I have to admit the thought of not reporting it did cross my mind since I sooo didn't want to have to re-take stat again but my dang conscience got in the way.

Some schools do note whether the class was taken online, but others don't. You just have to tell them what course you took.

I was so glad to find out about an online public speaking class that is offered at Indiana University. I was able to video tape my speeches and turn them in. I absolutely hate public speaking courses, so I was really glad this was an option for me.

I was so glad to find out about an online public speaking class that is offered at Indiana University. I was able to video tape my speeches and turn them in. I absolutely hate public speaking courses, so I was really glad this was an option for me.

Is this a joke? Or are there really online public speaking classes? If so, why would you take one? It defeats the whole purpose of the class (there's a reason it's called *public* speaking)... ;)

i've taken many online courses including a pubic speaking one. nothing on my transcripts notes that this is a distant learning/onine class.