Online Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psybaum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Looking for a bit of advise. I was put on the wait list for the top school and in speaking with the admissions head, she suggested I take some classes over the next year at the graduate level before I reapply for the following fall. She strongly suggested that I take the classes from an APA accredited program, but because of my work schedule, it seems like online classes are the way to go.

My question us are there any online apa accredited programs or are there psychology programs that would allow me to take classes, without being fully enrolled in the program.

thank you for any help you guys can offer

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure you'd be able to take doctoral level classes* as a non-degree seeking student.

*Only doctoral level programs are APA-approved.`

But there are MA level programs housed within institutions that also have APA accredited doctoral programs. I wonder if these could be worth considering?

Members don't see this ad :)
But there are MA level programs housed within institutions that also have APA accredited doctoral programs. I wonder if these could be worth considering?

This is true and is probably what the faculty member meant; however, taking classes from the only online APA-accredited program (Fielding) would probably not have the exact effect the OP is hoping to gain....
To be honest, I think you should plan on taking traditional (classroom) courses and not online ones. They'll look better and you're more likely to gain the opportunities and resulting letters of rec from graduate faculty that would make such an experience so valuable to your applications a second time around.

I'm not sure you'd be able to take doctoral level classes* as a non-degree seeking student.

*Only doctoral level programs are APA-approved.`

Some schools allow it, though it is obviously dependent on a number of factors. Obviously any practicum-like class could probably not be taken, but things like stats classes, seminars, are definite options.

Networking with faculty at a local university is a way to go, especially if you RA for them. You might be able to take a class with them, or they might be able to convince the department to make an exception.

I was thinking of doing this as well. I'd like to work full-time (I'm broke!! :laugh:) at a nearby university being an RA while taking a few foundational classes online though The Chicago School's MA program. I don't plan to finish the MA, just take 2 semesters worth and then apply to my PsyD schools.

Has anyone done this?
Is this wise? Couldn't hurt one's chances but can it enhance?

I know it's better to take the classes the traditional way but financially speaking, I can not.