Online Courses OKAY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehumanfob

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've quit my job to try to go to dental school and I'm checking the pre-reqs and it seems like biochemistry became another pre-requisite in the past few years (at least for most schools). I have bio, chem, o-chem, physics, anatomy and taking microbiology in my CC this fall, but they don't offer biochem and I've heard that taking one class without a lab component online wouldn't hurt? Can someone let me know if this is true?

If so, it would really help on costs per credit AND commute fees for me and would much rather take an online course. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I've quit my job to try to go to dental school and I'm checking the pre-reqs and it seems like biochemistry became another pre-requisite in the past few years (at least for most schools). I have bio, chem, o-chem, physics, anatomy and taking microbiology in my CC this fall, but they don't offer biochem and I've heard that taking one class without a lab component online wouldn't hurt? Can someone let me know if this is true?

If so, it would really help on costs per credit AND commute fees for me and would much rather take an online course. Thanks guys!
I don't think one online class wouldn't hurt but check the requirements of the schools you want to apply to and make sure they accept CC credits. A lot of schools (at least the ones I've checked) didn't let you transfer CC credits (especially the core pre-reqs.). I recommend taking it at an accredited 4-year university.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think one online class wouldn't hurt but check the requirements of the schools you want to apply to and make sure they accept CC credits. A lot of schools (at least the ones I've checked) didn't let you transfer CC credits (especially the core pre-reqs.). I recommend taking it at an accredited 4-year university.

i've taken the core at a 4 year. only microbio and anatomy are gonna be cc credits (due to costs and ease of commute). I've looked into a few and many of them do accept CC credits to a certain minimum, but some say definitely no CC credits...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At UCSF the Biochem class has to be from a 4- year institution.

when you say 4-year institution, it's implied that online courses from a 4 year institution aren't accepted either, correct?
I'd call the schools and get the most accurate information regarding their policy. I've seen some people who get screwed later when they figure out the advice they've got on this forum wasn't accurate.

Reactions: 1 user