Online courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukejen04

MS4
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys thought about online courses. Not something I'm going to do straight away, but something I would consider in the future just so I can have "recent" coursework.

I was thinking something without a lab (I have fulfilled all of my pre-med requirements) like cell bio or biochem. Something I could do on my own time (since that time is limited severely).

Any ideas?? Anyone have experience with this?

As long as it comes from an accredited university- does it matter if it was taken online??? I'm pretty confident I could teach myself most things without a real life lecture.

Thanks!
jennifer

Members don't see this ad.

dukejen04 said:
Just wondering what you guys thought about online courses. Not something I'm going to do straight away, but something I would consider in the future just so I can have "recent" coursework.

I was thinking something without a lab (I have fulfilled all of my pre-med requirements) like cell bio or biochem. Something I could do on my own time (since that time is limited severely).

Any ideas?? Anyone have experience with this?

As long as it comes from an accredited university- does it matter if it was taken online??? I'm pretty confident I could teach myself most things without a real life lecture.

Thanks!
jennifer

Hi there,
Since you are done with your pre-med reqs, online courses would be fine. As more and more people engage in post-graduate education in addition to having a job, on-line courses have become a good means to do this. Some degrees such as MBA etc, can be done almost totally on-line which makes sense for someone who has a limited amount of times.

Just be sure that you are familiar with the accreditation process before you pay out. Other than that, in your case, should be fine.

njbmd :)

thanks! on that note- does anyone happen to know of any universities that offer science courses online? UCLA has an anatomy/physiology class, but can't seem to find a lot of others!

Members don't see this ad :)
dukejen04 said:
thanks! on that note- does anyone happen to know of any universities that offer science courses online? UCLA has an anatomy/physiology class, but can't seem to find a lot of others!
UC Berkeley has some GREAT courses!!

U of OK also has a lot online (Chem, OChem).

U of Maryland has several (including biochem), and ccconline.org has A&P and micro for sure (both actually have labs, but they are at-home labs). For A&P you dissect sheep eyes and brains, and for micro you get all the materials to make your slides and get a microscope plus premade slides.

University of Minnesota does too.