1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Online courses?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by dukejen04, Aug 4, 2006.

1. dukejen04

dukejen04 MS4
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just wondering what you guys thought about online courses. Not something I'm going to do straight away, but something I would consider in the future just so I can have "recent" coursework.

I was thinking something without a lab (I have fulfilled all of my pre-med requirements) like cell bio or biochem. Something I could do on my own time (since that time is limited severely).

Any ideas?? Anyone have experience with this?

As long as it comes from an accredited university- does it matter if it was taken online??? I'm pretty confident I could teach myself most things without a real life lecture.

Thanks!
    jennifer

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    Since you are done with your pre-med reqs, online courses would be fine. As more and more people engage in post-graduate education in addition to having a job, on-line courses have become a good means to do this. Some degrees such as MBA etc, can be done almost totally on-line which makes sense for someone who has a limited amount of times.

Just be sure that you are familiar with the accreditation process before you pay out. Other than that, in your case, should be fine.

njbmd :)

4. dukejen04

dukejen04 MS4
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks! on that note- does anyone happen to know of any universities that offer science courses online? UCLA has an anatomy/physiology class, but can't seem to find a lot of others!

5. 1Path

1Path Membership Revoked
    Removed

UC Berkeley has some GREAT courses!!

6. FDoRoML

FDoRoML Dil Chahata Hai
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    U of OK also has a lot online (Chem, OChem).

7. Skaterbabe74

Skaterbabe74 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

U of Maryland has several (including biochem), and ccconline.org has A&P and micro for sure (both actually have labs, but they are at-home labs). For A&P you dissect sheep eyes and brains, and for micro you get all the materials to make your slides and get a microscope plus premade slides.

8. rianah

rianah Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

University of Minnesota does too.