Online courses?

Started by dukejen04
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dukejen04

MS4
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering what you guys thought about online courses. Not something I'm going to do straight away, but something I would consider in the future just so I can have "recent" coursework.

I was thinking something without a lab (I have fulfilled all of my pre-med requirements) like cell bio or biochem. Something I could do on my own time (since that time is limited severely).

Any ideas?? Anyone have experience with this?

As long as it comes from an accredited university- does it matter if it was taken online??? I'm pretty confident I could teach myself most things without a real life lecture.

Thanks!
jennifer
 
dukejen04 said:
Just wondering what you guys thought about online courses. Not something I'm going to do straight away, but something I would consider in the future just so I can have "recent" coursework.

I was thinking something without a lab (I have fulfilled all of my pre-med requirements) like cell bio or biochem. Something I could do on my own time (since that time is limited severely).

Any ideas?? Anyone have experience with this?

As long as it comes from an accredited university- does it matter if it was taken online??? I'm pretty confident I could teach myself most things without a real life lecture.

Thanks!
jennifer

Hi there,
Since you are done with your pre-med reqs, online courses would be fine. As more and more people engage in post-graduate education in addition to having a job, on-line courses have become a good means to do this. Some degrees such as MBA etc, can be done almost totally on-line which makes sense for someone who has a limited amount of times.

Just be sure that you are familiar with the accreditation process before you pay out. Other than that, in your case, should be fine.

njbmd 🙂
 
thanks! on that note- does anyone happen to know of any universities that offer science courses online? UCLA has an anatomy/physiology class, but can't seem to find a lot of others!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dukejen04 said:
thanks! on that note- does anyone happen to know of any universities that offer science courses online? UCLA has an anatomy/physiology class, but can't seem to find a lot of others!
UC Berkeley has some GREAT courses!!
 
U of Maryland has several (including biochem), and ccconline.org has A&P and micro for sure (both actually have labs, but they are at-home labs). For A&P you dissect sheep eyes and brains, and for micro you get all the materials to make your slides and get a microscope plus premade slides.