Online Degree Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rob1230

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a question regarding getting a degree online. I may be in the middle of a move that will benefit my family, primarily my children and have found that most schools in the area offer the bachelors program online unless you are starting from scratch. So my question would be if anyone has had any experience with med schools accepting online bachelors with the pre med courses being done on campus at a university?

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping thread, any feed back would be appreciated thanks in advance

I think you're going to have to dig into the MSAR for this one. Some medical schools will accept online courses while others will not. That being said, some undergraduate schools do not differentiate between their in-person and online courses. Case in point: I took biochemistry online and it had the same course number, title, and curriculum as the in-person course. It wouldn't have been an issue at any of the schools to which I applied, but I wouldn't have mentioned it if it had been.

It's also going to depend on the accreditation of the school that you're attending. If this is a real school (e.g. a state university) with an online component, I think that will be fine. If this is something like Strayer or University of Phoenix online, then you might have some problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your email and interest in our program. As long as the previous institution is regionally accredited, then that will be just fine and those credits can be used along with the coursework completed at an "on-ground" campus for GPA calculation and eligibility.

Please let me know if you have any additional information or have any questions.

That response came from VCOM post Bac program. Hope it helps. I will also be reaching out to more programs to inquire with them as well. Will update as I do.

Reactions: 1 user
@ DocJanitor, yea the school is a 4 year university fully accredited bachelor program. My science courses and their labs are going to be done in person on campus. It was really just the bachelors that was a bit of a problem or possibly one. But thanks for the info. I will check the MSAR as well as continuing to reach out to the schools as well. I am looking at post bac and straight forward approach as well.

@ DocJanitor, yea the school is a 4 year university fully accredited bachelor program. My science courses and their labs are going to be done in person on campus. It was really just the bachelors that was a bit of a problem or possibly one. But thanks for the info. I will check the MSAR as well as continuing to reach out to the schools as well. I am looking at post bac and straight forward approach as well.
I am a similar situation. Would you please PM me with an update of your situation? Thanks in advance.

Tagging as I’ll probably need to finish my BA online as well

BTW: I just spoke with Pt Loma Nazarene in San Diego about accepting online degrees, credits, etc... (They advertise a 90% acceptance rate to med schools.)

They accept National University degrees because they are a full fledged accredited college. She said folks in our situation can either:
1. Have a bachelors from elsewhere (even NU) and attend the med school prereqs at Pt Loma. Doing so allows us to be in their pre-med program which has a 90% acceptance rate to med schools. Taking the pre-reqs simply gives us credits without them being part of a 2nd degree or even a minor. Stated differently: A bachelors from any accredited university allows access to their pre-med program and pre-req courses. (disclaimer...I have no clue as to med schools acceptance of that degree).

2. Have an AA degree from elsewhere (even NU) then use the pre-reqs to finish out a bachelors at Pt Loma. Of course the AA degree has to be aligned with whatever bachelors program one wants to use.

Of note: Pt Loma's Adult Degree Completion isn't applicable for pre-med because those degrees do not include the pre-reqs.

FYI: I'm a 40'sh non-traditional with 3 stutter/stop attempts at 3 colleges. So using online courses to round out my AA or BA is my #1 question right now.