Online/Distance Education Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bspwong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am newbie on here, but have trouble finding information regarding the following.

I did my undergraduate in a non-psychology science field and obtained an MA in Counseling. I have been a registered clinical counsellor in BC for the past few years, and now considering clinical psychology programs in Canada and US.

I am under the impression, from reading posts on this forum, that admissions to clinical psyc requires previous psyc work and that counseling psyc MA may not suffice. Do APA accreditted PhD programs consider MA/MS programs in psychology done by online or correspondence? Are they looked at unfavorably?

Any advice helps. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess would be that they would look down on them. Clinical PhD programs tend to have a large amount to do with research, in addition to the practice training. How much research experience do you have? What would you like to study while you are being trained as a PhD? I think that research is a large component of the field and that even if you are planning on becoming a clinician you should be well trained and well versed in research, too many in this field think that they are mutually exclusive. Not to lecture, but it is something to consider if you plan to pursue the PhD.

I agree with the previous poster. I am not sure if your interested in clinical psychology ph.d program or psy.d. If psy. d your qualifications may be enough. However, if its for a ph.d you need much research experience and maybe some courses. Your masters is in counseling psychology so there probably are some core courses you missed. MA/MS programs in psychology done by online I feel is looked down on. If you are interested in the ph.d program you may need to take at least 2 yrs to get research experience and some more courses in at a university.

Thanks for your input. It makes sense that online programs are not favored since they provide limited, if any, "research" opportunity.