Online Genetics, No Lab - Already Have Biology Pre-Reqs Done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi SDNers!

So I'm currently getting my PhD and working slowly, but surely, through my pre-reqs to apply to medical school. I'm somewhat grade repair (was a Biology major for a couple semesters) and new classes (General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry).

I've taken both Biology I and Biology II with pretty poor results. I was wondering if an online genetics course (no lab) would be okay to take as part of my ability to show progress in upper level classes? I would take it at the local CC if they offered it and, unfortunately, can't dish out the money for classes at my school (or any four year university).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDNers!

So I'm currently getting my PhD and working slowly, but surely, through my pre-reqs to apply to medical school. I'm somewhat grade repair (was a Biology major for a couple semesters) and new classes (General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry).

I've taken both Biology I and Biology II with pretty poor results. I was wondering if an online genetics course (no lab) would be okay to take as part of my ability to show progress in upper level classes? I would take it at the local CC if they offered it and, unfortunately, can't dish out the money for classes at my school (or any four year university).

How poor is “poor”? You need to retake bio outright if you earned less than a C grade.

I don’t think medical schools will be impressed by online science courses. Your grade from an online genetics course will be factored into your GPA, but many medical schools frown on online courses, and some will not accept online courses to fulfill prerequisites at all.

If you earned a C grade or better in your biology classes, then I think your efforts are better spent just excelling in your organic chemistry and biochemistry coursework.

How poor is “poor”? You need to retake bio outright if you earned less than a C grade.

I don’t think medical schools will be impressed by online science courses. Your grade from an online genetics course will be factored into your GPA, but many medical schools frown on online courses, and some will not accept online courses to fulfill prerequisites at all.

If you earned a C grade or better in your biology classes, then I think your efforts are better spent just excelling in your organic chemistry and biochemistry coursework.

They're both bad. Do you think that I should not focus on higher levels and focus on retaking + crushing BIO 2?

BIO 1: D+, retake to C+ (I know, still not great but this was six years ago now)
BIO 2: C-

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that some schools will simply not accept a C- in an intro bio course, and a year of intro bio pretty much a universal prerequisite. Yeah, you’re going to have to retake it to maximize your chances I’m afraid - you simply won’t meet the minimum requirements at many medical schools if you don’t retake.

Retake Bio II, get an A, and excel in your new science classes going forward. You should be OK.

The problem is that some schools will simply not accept a C- in an intro bio course, and a year of intro bio pretty much a universal prerequisite. Yeah, you’re going to have to retake it to maximize your chances I’m afraid - you simply won’t meet the minimum requirements at many medical schools if you don’t retake.

Retake Bio II, get an A, and excel in your new science classes going forward. You should be OK.

This is great advice - thank you!

Reactions: 1 user