Online Kaplan course for OAT?

eyeballinbruin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone taken the "online" version of the Kaplan OAT course? I was going to take an in-class session, but the closest center is too far (30miles) with inconvenient hours. The online Kaplan course has "lessons-on-demand" and I was wondering what that was like. It's been a few years since I graduated undergrad and I forgot a lot of stuff, so I wanted to be taught in a review session format. It's also almost the same price as a regular Kaplan course!

It would also helpful to know if Kaplan is even helpful to begin with! I am currently using the OAT destroyer.

Study tips are welcome as well!~

Your input is greatly appreciated! Good luck to everyone applying this year :)

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Kaplan class online. I had been out of school for 2 years so I needed to do more than just study from books. I felt the class really prepared me for the OAT. I scored 340 TS and AA.

The hardest part of doing the class online was that there was not a set schedule for it, you could do it whenever you wanted. I ended up making a calendar of what lessons I would do everyday and devoting 4-5 hours a day to studying, lessons and taking practice exams.

I think the practice tests on Kaplan are much harder than the actual OAT. I was scoring around 300 on the Kaplan tests before I took the OAT.

Good question, I was looking for this type of question on here a few months ago. There are no in class courses offered in my country, so I'm currently enrolled in the online course. I agree with everything that the poster above me has said. But as I read through this huge book, I'm realizing I could have just found this information in my old notes and textbooks because it's all material previously learned (if you took the prerequisites). I don't regret paying the large amount of money though because I need some way to organize my studying, and I was feeling intimidated and afraid that I would miss something if I studied independently. I haven't gotten too deep into the course yet because I'm working full time and just pacing myself, but there are some topics that don't seem to be covered in the amount of detail that I would like. I'm someone that needs to know everything, including details to make sense of things, otherwise I end up memorizing, and I don't like memorizing without understanding. My approach to this will be to do everything in the course, and just look up things further online and in books. Yes I know, I'm paying a huge chunk of money and I should be getting all the info I need for the OAT from this course alone, but this is what I've decided to do because I think that's what will work best for me. If you want something to organize and create a baseline for your studying, I think this course isn't a bad idea. If you feel you need to go beyond the course material to clarify things, then try that out as well. Once I write the oat, whenever that will be, I'll update my opinion on this. Good luck!!! :)

Thanks for your responses!! I really appreciate it!! It's been hard finding people that actually took the online course for the OAT :)

I suppose my biggest hesitation was how the online lessons would work since there is no teacher~

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone taken the "online" version of the Kaplan OAT course? I was going to take an in-class session, but the closest center is too far (30miles) with inconvenient hours. The online Kaplan course has "lessons-on-demand" and I was wondering what that was like. It's been a few years since I graduated undergrad and I forgot a lot of stuff, so I wanted to be taught in a review session format. It's also almost the same price as a regular Kaplan course!

It would also helpful to know if Kaplan is even helpful to begin with! I am currently using the OAT destroyer.

Study tips are welcome as well!~

Your input is greatly appreciated! Good luck to everyone applying this year :)

Fellow bruin?
Anyways, the Kaplan 'Lessons on Demand' actually use the exact same teaching pages as the in class instructors.
I took the actual course, but I'm assuming that you will receive all the prep materials.
You will receive a Lesson Book, and the online lessons will guide you through these lessons (with timed breaks to complete quizzes, etc.)
The only benefit I see with the actual course is the immediate feedback that you can receive after the lectures if you're having problems with a specific topic.
Otherwise, the recorded lessons are better and more organized. You can also listen to them and rewind if necessary.
I found the practice problems and HW extremely valuable. Don't be intimidated by the Kaplan scoring, expect a 30+ point bump come test time.

Also, at first, I tried reading all the Review Notes, but found it extremely time consuming and boring...so I gave up after a few chapters.
I just learned/memorized from practice problems instead, and ended up with a 380TS. Good luck

Fellow bruin?
Anyways, the Kaplan 'Lessons on Demand' actually use the exact same teaching pages as the in class instructors.
I took the actual course, but I'm assuming that you will receive all the prep materials.
You will receive a Lesson Book, and the online lessons will guide you through these lessons (with timed breaks to complete quizzes, etc.)
The only benefit I see with the actual course is the immediate feedback that you can receive after the lectures if you're having problems with a specific topic.
Otherwise, the recorded lessons are better and more organized. You can also listen to them and rewind if necessary.
I found the practice problems and HW extremely valuable. Don't be intimidated by the Kaplan scoring, expect a 30+ point bump come test time.

Also, at first, I tried reading all the Review Notes, but found it extremely time consuming and boring...so I gave up after a few chapters.
I just learned/memorized from practice problems instead, and ended up with a 380TS. Good luck

Go bruins!!!!!!! :)

Thanks for your super duper helpful response. I was really curious how the online lessons would work. Great job on the 380TS...that's what I'm aiming for, so now I'm sold! lol. I really appreciate your help.:love: