Online or Part Time Nursing Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmmkiwi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering a career change into nursing, I currently posses a BS in engineering, however, I want to move into health care. I already have a career and would like to continue working and earn an income while get the training I need to be an RN. Associate or BSN, doesn't matter.

Is there any program where you can do the classwork portion online and the clinicals in person? Or perhaps a part-time nursing program. I had no such luck finding any, they all seem to be full time programs.

I could not find any such program like this in California. Are there out of state schools that offer online nursing programs that will allow you to practice in California?

The best I could find was an accelerated nursing program that could be completed in 1 year. But the program is full time so I would have no income for an entire year. I'm just trying to evaluate my options before I make any major decisions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering a career change into nursing, I currently posses a BS in engineering, however, I want to move into health care. I already have a career and would like to continue working and earn an income while get the training I need to be an RN. Associate or BSN, doesn't matter.

Is there any program where you can do the classwork portion online and the clinicals in person? Or perhaps a part-time nursing program. I had no such luck finding any, they all seem to be full time programs.

I could not find any such program like this in California. Are there out of state schools that offer online nursing programs that will allow you to practice in California?

The best I could find was an accelerated nursing program that could be completed in 1 year. But the program is full time so I would have no income for an entire year. I'm just trying to evaluate my options before I make any major decisions. Thanks!
Kmm, have you tried Kaplan? They have an online nursing program but it is only contained in South Florida. Maybe you need to call them up and see what happens. It is kaplan University. Check out the website @ kaplan.edu.

The short answer for online programs is no. There is/was a program called Excelsior which allowed students with healthcare experience (RN Paramedic etc) to take online courses and then arrange clinicals. I believe that California along with several other states does not accept this degree. There are some part time programs, but for the most part they are full time programs. Also most ADN programs now have substantial waiting lists so if you want to get an RN an accelerated BSN may be your best bet.

You would probably get better answers over at allnurses.com (try the distance learning area). Standard caveats (do a search first etc.)

David Carpenter, PA-C

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll assume you're legit and not an undercover marketer for OU.

Yes, there are evening programs. And yes, an out-of-state online program has recently been approved. It's an accelerated BSN. I don't know much about it other than it exists.

Check these out:

http://www.ounursing.com/

http://www.rn.ca.gov/schools/onlineprograms.shtml

P.S. Do your homework, do volunteer work, do what you need to make sure nursing is what you want to do. Not suggesting this applies to you, but it's not worth it to do a nursing program only to pad your resume for med school, IMO.

http://www.ounursing.com/glendale/programs/bstobsn.html

Getting Clinical: Your On-Site Classroom
While enrolled in your online courses, you will also complete your clinical work. This hands-on education takes place at Glendale Adventist Medical Center, where you will work with other students and faculty. The clinical work begins in a state-of-the-art simulation lab where you can learn and practice with faculty supervision and feedback. You develop your competencies working with patients, families, and communities.
During your last semester, you will have the opportunity to work with BSN preceptors to provide you with a more intensive clinical experience and enable you to apply your knowledge.

http://www.ounursing.com/sandiego/index.html

New Location Update

The University of Oklahoma College of Nursing Program will be moving to a new location in San Diego this spring! Sharp HealthCare recently announced it will be closing the Sharp Cabrillo hospital. Sharp remains committed to the program in San Diego, and the decision to close the Cabrillo facility is completely unrelated to our nursing program. Please be assured that we do not anticipate any interruption in our educational program. Our new location address will be announced soon.​

A lot of hospitals will reimburse you for the cost of your nursing degree in exchange for working there. The hospitals around here will give you $10,000 a year for your junior/senior year but if you do an Accelerated BSN (15 months here) they give you $15,000. It is part of your paycheck. So, while you would lose some income, you wouldn't have to pay for the schooling and you'd have a guaranteed job when you graduated. Not a bad deal...

I worked full time while attending a full time ADN program, and made straight As on top of it. Working full time was not the issue so much as having a job that was flexible enough to schedule around my school schedule. I was able to take an evening shift (3p-11:30p) CNA position.

In addition to working, I took out student loans as well as receiving a scholarship from the hospital I worked at, in exchange for working there as an RN for two years. So not only did I get money for school, but a guaranteed job as well.

I'll assume you're legit and not an undercover marketer for OU.

Yes, there are evening programs. And yes, an out-of-state online program has recently been approved. It's an accelerated BSN. I don't know much about it other than it exists.

Check these out:

http://www.ounursing.com/

http://www.rn.ca.gov/schools/onlineprograms.shtml

P.S. Do your homework, do volunteer work, do what you need to make sure nursing is what you want to do. Not suggesting this applies to you, but it's not worth it to do a nursing program only to pad your resume for med school, IMO.

Lol! No, I'm not undercover for OU. I never heard of them actually. I will look into that program, thanks! I have no desire to go to med school, not trying to pad my resume. I was looking into nursing because I'm taking an EMT class in the near future. I was looking at the material and I'm really interested in health care. At this point nursing is just a consideration, I'm not making any major decisions yet until I find out if health care is really for me. Was just looking down the road at a possibility :)

A lot of hospitals will reimburse you for the cost of your nursing degree in exchange for working there. The hospitals around here will give you $10,000 a year for your junior/senior year but if you do an Accelerated BSN (15 months here) they give you $15,000. It is part of your paycheck. So, while you would lose some income, you wouldn't have to pay for the schooling and you'd have a guaranteed job when you graduated. Not a bad deal...

Thanks. I didn't know that hospitals do that. I'll have to look into that if I do decide to go into nursing. At least a small income would help tremendously.

Drexel U - you can do the accelerated bsn for second degree students in 11 months...
bit more expensive - but figure the quicker you are done the quicker your income generation can start and offset the investment on education.

4thelonghaul
logged dives: 3
Northwest Airline Miles: 24,344