Online or Part Time Nursing Program

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by kmmkiwi, Dec 30, 2008.

1. kmmkiwi

I am considering a career change into nursing, I currently posses a BS in engineering, however, I want to move into health care. I already have a career and would like to continue working and earn an income while get the training I need to be an RN. Associate or BSN, doesn't matter.

Is there any program where you can do the classwork portion online and the clinicals in person? Or perhaps a part-time nursing program. I had no such luck finding any, they all seem to be full time programs.

I could not find any such program like this in California. Are there out of state schools that offer online nursing programs that will allow you to practice in California?

The best I could find was an accelerated nursing program that could be completed in 1 year. But the program is full time so I would have no income for an entire year. I'm just trying to evaluate my options before I make any major decisions. Thanks!

2. julie walker

julie walker Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Kmm, have you tried Kaplan? They have an online nursing program but it is only contained in South Florida. Maybe you need to call them up and see what happens. It is kaplan University. Check out the website @ kaplan.edu.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. core0

core0 Which way is the windmill
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    The short answer for online programs is no. There is/was a program called Excelsior which allowed students with healthcare experience (RN Paramedic etc) to take online courses and then arrange clinicals. I believe that California along with several other states does not accept this degree. There are some part time programs, but for the most part they are full time programs. Also most ADN programs now have substantial waiting lists so if you want to get an RN an accelerated BSN may be your best bet.

You would probably get better answers over at allnurses.com (try the distance learning area). Standard caveats (do a search first etc.)

David Carpenter, PA-C

4. gonj

gonj Oh no you di'int
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll assume you're legit and not an undercover marketer for OU.

Yes, there are evening programs. And yes, an out-of-state online program has recently been approved. It's an accelerated BSN. I don't know much about it other than it exists.

Check these out:

http://www.ounursing.com/

http://www.rn.ca.gov/schools/onlineprograms.shtml

P.S. Do your homework, do volunteer work, do what you need to make sure nursing is what you want to do. Not suggesting this applies to you, but it's not worth it to do a nursing program only to pad your resume for med school, IMO.

5. gonj

gonj Oh no you di'int
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    http://www.ounursing.com/glendale/programs/bstobsn.html

http://www.ounursing.com/sandiego/index.html

6. BlurredFocus

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    A lot of hospitals will reimburse you for the cost of your nursing degree in exchange for working there. The hospitals around here will give you $10,000 a year for your junior/senior year but if you do an Accelerated BSN (15 months here) they give you $15,000. It is part of your paycheck. So, while you would lose some income, you wouldn't have to pay for the schooling and you'd have a guaranteed job when you graduated. Not a bad deal...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. virgo

virgo Registered Nurse
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I worked full time while attending a full time ADN program, and made straight As on top of it. Working full time was not the issue so much as having a job that was flexible enough to schedule around my school schedule. I was able to take an evening shift (3p-11:30p) CNA position.

In addition to working, I took out student loans as well as receiving a scholarship from the hospital I worked at, in exchange for working there as an RN for two years. So not only did I get money for school, but a guaranteed job as well.

8. emttim

emttim Addicted to SCUBA
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Lol! No, I'm not undercover for OU. I never heard of them actually. I will look into that program, thanks! I have no desire to go to med school, not trying to pad my resume. I was looking into nursing because I'm taking an EMT class in the near future. I was looking at the material and I'm really interested in health care. At this point nursing is just a consideration, I'm not making any major decisions yet until I find out if health care is really for me. Was just looking down the road at a possibility :)

Thanks. I didn't know that hospitals do that. I'll have to look into that if I do decide to go into nursing. At least a small income would help tremendously.

9. Drexel U - you can do the accelerated bsn for second degree students in 11 months...
    bit more expensive - but figure the quicker you are done the quicker your income generation can start and offset the investment on education.

4thelonghaul
    logged dives: 3
    Northwest Airline Miles: 24,344