Online PA schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmwannebe2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Some background on me, I am about to graduate from pharmacy school. I was looking into PA school mostly to broaden my horizons. I didn't realize I really liked working in a hospital and I feel most pharmacists just stick to the basement and just check. Anyways I am interested in Online or maybe part time PA schools. Mostly because after 6 years of schooling, I don't want to go full time and I would like to maintain my job in the pharmacy setting.

Any advice please.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, only nurses are foolish enough to think that this training can be done bits at a time or without "real" teaching. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, only nurses are foolish enough to think that this training can be done bits at a time or without "real" teaching. :rolleyes:

no offense. But not all colleges are university of phoenix w/ its doctor of nursing program.

I know a lot of pharmd schools that are online. They are just as competitive to get into and probably have a better board score than other pharm schools. And to be honest....half my pharmacy class never went to class....they all watched the lectures online at their own convenience. I prefer online any day. I wouldn't be shocked if med school was online one day in the future.

I understand some portion of PA school just like pharmacy school can't be done online. Like the lab portion. But why should I waste a whole day waiting for classes to begin (if there are breaks in the schedule), listening to a teacher go off topic for the hundredth time, and get distracted by other students.

no offense. But not all colleges are university of phoenix w/ its doctor of nursing program.

I know a lot of pharmd schools that are online. They are just as competitive to get into and probably have a better board score than other pharm schools. And to be honest....half my pharmacy class never went to class....they all watched the lectures online at their own convenience. I prefer online any day. I wouldn't be shocked if med school was online one day in the future.

I understand some portion of PA school just like pharmacy school can't be done online. Like the lab portion. But why should I waste a whole day waiting for classes to begin (if there are breaks in the schedule), listening to a teacher go off topic for the hundredth time, and get distracted by other students.
This is no different than me saying that pharmacy looks pretty easy. I know some stuff about medicine. I can put some pills in a bottle. I need an easy way to get my PharmD. And I can't be bothered to put any real effort into it so is there an easy online way to do it? If you have any idea of the training or duties of a clinical pharmacist obviously this isn't true. But it sure sounds easy.

Its pretty obvious you don't have any real idea whats entailed in PA education. Yes there are programs that have a substantial online didactic component. But consider that the average PA student will have more than 1400 hours of didactic instruction. Thats not waiting around for class to start when the teacher shows up. Thats butt in the chair from 8-5 five days a week for 40 weeks or so. Then you have an average of 2000 hours of clinical over a year. Thats a full time job. On top of that you have whatever studying you need to do to get a passing grade. Thats why most programs discourage/prohibit working during PA school. There are a few (probably 20-30 slots in the whole country) that split the didactic year and allow people to work part time but even then you are expected to be a full time student your clinical year.

My advice is to shadow some PAs a couple of times and understand what they do. If you like the medicine then apply. Pharmacists are well regarded. I had two in my class. Neither of them worked in school.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Last edited:
This is no different than me saying that pharmacy looks pretty easy. I know some stuff about medicine. I can put some pills in a bottle. I need an easy way to get my PharmD. And I can't be bothered to put any real effort into it so is there an easy online way to do it? If you have any idea of the training or duties of a clinical pharmacist obviously this isn't true. But it sure sounds easy.

Its pretty obvious you don't have any real idea whats entailed in PA education. Yes there are programs that have a substantial online didactic component. But consider that the average PA student will have more than 1400 hours of didactic instruction. Thats not waiting around for class to start when the teacher shows up. Thats butt in the chair from 8-5 five days a week for 40 weeks or so. Then you have an average of 2000 hours of clinical over a year. Thats a full time job. On top of that you have whatever studying you need to do to get a passing grade. Thats why most programs discourage/prohibit working during PA school. There are a few (probably 20-30 slots in the whole country) that split the didactic year and allow people to work part time but even then you are expected to be a full time student your clinical year.

My advice is to shadow some PAs a couple of times and understand what they do. If you like the medicine then apply. Pharmacists are well regarded. I had two in my class. Neither of them worked in school.

David Carpenter, PA-C

you are completely right. I need to shadow and I need to make school a priority even though I would like to get started working asap after graduating.