Online Prerequisite Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArkansasHog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all the optometry schools accept online prerequisites, such as psychology, or statistics? I took an AP Statistics course in high school and got college credit for it, but I am assuming that will not count toward prerequisites for optometry school, so I would like to take statistics online through my university if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Do all the optometry schools accept online prerequisites, such as psychology, or statistics? I took an AP Statistics course in high school and got college credit for it, but I am assuming that will not count toward prerequisites for optometry school, so I would like to take statistics online through my university if possible.
I don't know if it's true for all optometry schools, but the two I applied to (UHCO and UIWRSO) both accept AP credit. Make sure you ask the schools before you take a course you don't need. :)

It all depends on the school. The school I applied to (SUNY) does accept AP Credit as long as they appeared on my college transcript and I received credit for them (which then was based on the scores when I took the exams all those moons ago). I know another school does not accept AP credit (not sure which one though). So check with the schools you are applying to so you don't have to waste unnecessary money.

As far as online courses go, it again depends on the school. I know some schools will take it as long as it isn't a hard science course. Check with the schools you are applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools accept only some scores for some tests. You have to look up information on the school's website and if the information is not there, contact them. I think WUCO and PUCO will accept 1 Math class and 1 English class w/ AP credit. If you took the AP test, it doesn't matter if the class you took was online, they won't really know that. All they will know is that you took the class and got credit for it through "Advanced Placement" to quote OptomCAS.

I don't know if it's true for all optometry schools, but the two I applied to (UHCO and UIWRSO) both accept AP credit. Make sure you ask the schools before you take a course you don't need. :)

When you filled out the supplemental application to UIWRSO, how did you fill out the AP credit? As far as date taken, course number, and grade?

When you filled out the supplemental application to UIWRSO, how did you fill out the AP credit? As far as date taken, course number, and grade?
I just typed in the credit hours number (3 hours for Psychology, for example) under semester credits and just typed "AP" under the Course Grade section. For the date, I put the date I officially received my AP scores, which was around July after Senior year of high school.