Only 7 interviews...no hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derm8888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like most programs are done with invites...I only have 7 interview offers. Is there any hope for additional invites when people cancel? Everyone I met on the interview trail is highly accomplished. I'm really worried about not matching...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in the same boat, have 7. i'm by no means an expert, but a few things come to mind:

1) I know of people who received interviews in january weeks before their scheduled interview suggesting that yes, people do cancel and spots can open up
2) I know of multiple people who have matched with as few as 3 interviews. Of course, this is not ideal and I would freak out if this were my situation, but that's me.
3) I'm pretty happy with 7 interviews... Should I be more worried??

It's so hard to not freak out about this everyday but worrying doesn't accomplish much. It's easy to say that especially when you meet people with amazing credentials and 15-20 interviews but I think we're in a pretty good place...Stay positive!!!

Reactions: 1 user
8 here but all it takes is one :)

This is the right mindset, I only had 7 myself as a MS4 and worrying just ends up being torture from now until Match Day

Just remind yourself it only takes one, enjoy the holidays, and enjoy the last few rotations of MS4 :)

Reactions: 1 user
This is the right mindset, I only had 7 myself as a MS4 and worrying just ends up being torture from now until Match Day

Just remind yourself it only takes one, enjoy the holidays, and enjoy the last few rotations of MS4 :)

Thank you so much. You have been a steady and encouraging source of information since this process began. I think we are all grateful for that!

Thank you so much for all of your kind words! Best of luck to all of you as well!

i know ppl that matched with 3 and those that did not match at all and they had 20.... while more seems better, it is the quality of your interviews than quantity.

Reactions: 1 users
I had 7 and matched at a place I wanted to go to. I agree that quality > quantity.

I agree that 7 is enough. Everyone talks about the magic ten but more emphasis need to focus on your interview skills so that you maximize your chances. Really focus on this, think positive, stay optimistic, and work on interviews. You've made it this far and can't let negativity take hold....practice with people that are honest but respectful and those that will help you work on interviewing.