Only Applied to MIN--good/bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lululime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I only applied to MIN, do I have a good chance of acceptance anywhere else? My unofficial GPA is ~3.23, and I am from Canada.

I was convinced by a friend to apply for Minnesota 2011, although I was initially planning to complete my BSc before beginning to apply to any dental schools. At first I thought I'd just apply to this one school and see how it goes, but with all the effort I put into the application and pulled all my references I started taking it very very seriously. I submitted my AADSAS and MIN supplementaries in October, wrote my DAT last week, and joined predents.com. Now I'm still waiting for my GPA calculations and my DAT results, and hopefully I get an interview from MIN soon after Dec 1st.

Are there other schools I ought to apply to at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you wrote Canadian DAT. In that case, your scores won't be avilable until Christmas time. If you really wanna have a shot in this cycle, you should write the American DAT immediately and apply to a whole bunch of private schools.

It sounds like you wrote Canadian DAT. In that case, your scores won't be avilable until Christmas time. If you really wanna have a shot in this cycle, you should write the American DAT immediately and apply to a whole bunch of private schools.
I think you are right, Oreoson. Last week I e-mailed CDA to see if there is anyway that I can get my score sooner, but I still haven't received a reply. Maybe I should call them today? I'm wondering if there's a way to get an unofficial score released to MIN.

As well, I looked into writing the aDAT and I don't know if it is a good idea. I am able to write it as early as next week, but the main thing that worries me is that I will bomb o-chem since I only got B averages in the second half-year course I took. The math looks pretty easy, just have to review probability I think.

Someone suggested that I just apply to different schools, like BU which has a later deadline for all application stuff. I kind of like that BU is closer to home for me, but I don't know how realistic my chances are there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are right, Oreoson. Last week I e-mailed CDA to see if there is anyway that I can get my score sooner, but I still haven't received a reply. Maybe I should call them today? I'm wondering if there's a way to get an unofficial score released to MIN.

I highly recommond to you to read and learn more about the process of the applications to US schools and even Canadian schools.

From your post, I am assuming that you just wrote the DAT and do not have any earlier stats and from Above statement, I can see you are not very familiar with the time lines and ...

It is OK, we all have been there and wase a cycle or two not knowing what we were doing.

Do a keyword search here in this site for your questions and take this cycle to learn more and more about this process.

I can tell you with your GPA and your application being so late and all ... you have a ZERO Chanse of getting anywhere unless you have a 25+ DAT score.

But don't be discourage and just try to be better prepared next year.

I highly recommond to you to read and learn more about the process of the applications to US schools and even Canadian schools.

From your post, I am assuming that you just wrote the DAT and do not have any earlier stats and from Above statement, I can see you are not very familiar with the time lines and ...

It is OK, we all have been there and wase a cycle or two not knowing what we were doing.

Do a keyword search here in this site for your questions and take this cycle to learn more and more about this process.

I can tell you with your GPA and your application being so late and all ... you have a ZERO Chanse of getting anywhere unless you have a 25+ DAT score.

But don't be discourage and just try to be better prepared next year.
Thanks for the reality check. I didn't initially start my applications with high expectations, but only because my friend persuaded me to after looking at my marks and ECs, etc. I have an idea of the deadlines now (it's been months of learning!), and didn't realize until after my exam that MIN might not get my DAT scores on time.

Turns out I can't apply to Tufts or BU because they want students with a 4 yr degree. What do most people think about Meharry? Should I look into that school? I think I should at apply to schools where I might get in due to luck. Anyways, its only money at this point. I've done all my applications.

At worst, I can reapply in the next cycle.

Are you a URM? If not, you shouldn't waste money on Meharry.
Make sure you do a thorough research about the school before applying.
When I was applying for the first time, I applied to Meharry, Howard, and even Puerto rico, and yes I learned it the hard way, hahaha.

Are you a URM? If not, you shouldn't waste money on Meharry.
Make sure you do a thorough research about the school before applying.
When I was applying for the first time, I applied to Meharry, Howard, and even Puerto rico, and yes I learned it the hard way, hahaha.

Thanks for confirming Meharry, I suspected there was a criteria like that. I am not URM. I think I might put in an application for Creighton and that's all. I don't think I will be too upset if I don't make it this year. Drawing on what I learned in high school econ, the opportunity cost of completing an extra year of undergrad is low relative to the doors that are opened by having a degree. =)

SDN is the best!

Thanks for the reality check. I didn't initially start my applications with high expectations, but only because my friend persuaded me to after looking at my marks and ECs, etc. I have an idea of the deadlines now (it's been months of learning!), and didn't realize until after my exam that MIN might not get my DAT scores on time.

Turns out I can't apply to Tufts or BU because they want students with a 4 yr degree. What do most people think about Meharry? Should I look into that school? I think I should at apply to schools where I might get in due to luck. Anyways, its only money at this point. I've done all my applications.

At worst, I can reapply in the next cycle.

Just so you know, I am pretty sure almost all applicants will have a 4 year degree when they enroll. I'm not sure what year you are, but you might want to do some more research.