Only Getting Passes in Third Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMDFromThe513

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a US MD school. For third year grading, ny school does Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail. I have had two rotations so far and have missed the cutoff for high pass by one or two points on both of them (the low cutoff for high pass is usually in the 83-86 range). I am very worried that I will only get high passes for the rest of third year and not match into my residency of choice. My step score is not strong at all (223) and I want to match in Family Medicine (which was one of those clerkships that I only passed). Any advice on what to do if I only manage to pass all of my rotations? I'm going to do my best to turn this around for the rest of the year but I am feeling very discouraged right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th year DO student, but I can comment on your situation from the perspective that you want to go into FM (if you're thinking about going into any other specialty, sorry...can't help you there).
Your step 1 score is more than enough (aka pretty strong) for FM. For reference, I didn't even take the USMLE (only took COMLEX exams), passed my PE exam (equivalent of your CS exam), and just comfortably passed all my rotations (my school doesn't do honors or anything, but if I took your grading scale, I would be equivalent of where you are. Granted, for the most part, my evaluations 3rd year have been good, and I did one audition in FM where I got great feedback.
That was pretty much it for me. And as someone who didn't even take the USMLE, still managed to get plenty of interviews this season and am happy with how things have turned out. So, you will be perfectly fine. No need to get discouraged. If you have more specific questions, feel free to DM me!

Reactions: 1 user
You are fine!

Assuming that an "honors" designation for a course or clerkship is meant to highlight only the most exceptional students, most medical students in the country have mostly pass and high pass on their clerkships, and many have mostly or only pass.

Your step score is perfectly adequate for family medicine. FM programs will not care about your clerkship grades as long as you passed everything and don't have any concerning professionalism issues on your narrative evals. If you are a US MD student with no major red flags (like on the level of failing your boards, criminal history, multiple course failures), you are competitive applicant for family medicine. I had a lower step 1 score than you and a mix of pass/high pass on clerkships, got interviews at almost every FM program I applied to, and matched at my dream program. Relax, you're doing fine.
Thanks so much for the reply! I was spiraling and definitely needed the reassurance.