only have time for 2 NBMEs

Discussion in 'Step I' started by caffeine52, May 26, 2008.

1. My school only gives us a few weeks to study and I want to use it well. I'm planning on taking one NBME in a couple days to see where I'm at and then another in a few weeks to see my progression. Given these time constraints, which NBME's would be best to take?
    Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician

Attending Physician
    I would use #3 and #4, which aren't that old, but have been used by others in the past with fairly good results.

4. thanks so much!

I have another question...someone told me that the free practice questions were the same as one of the NBME's. Is this true, or are they different? Has anyone found them helpful?

5. osli

osli Senior Member

Medical Student
    I haven't taken them, because everyone else here says that they are much easier than the NBME's and not nearly as representative of the USMLE. And no, I don't believe they are the same as any of the NBME's, although they are the same questions you'll get if you do the in-center prometric practice thing.

6. -Goose-

Resident [Any Field]
    I thought they were pretty bad. I'm pretty sure they are not the same. Very easy and old buzz-word style questions if I remember correctly.

7. oh, interesting- so the prometric practice session doesn't consist of an NBME?

8. Cards21aceking

No, think that it's the practice 150 in the actual testing center.