Only have "weak" clinical experience, what do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1165556

My advisor said that there are "tiers" to clinical experience, with the best being EMT/CNA/etc and the bottom tier being patient sitter/general volunteering.

I could not, for the life of me, get any "strong" clinical experience in the form of CNA, EMT, scribe, etc, as no one would hire me and certifications were either too expensive or I didn't have time to get them.

Instead, I have around 475 hours of clinical experience broken down as:

175 hours - patient sitter/CNA/patient safety, community hospital that kind of flexed me into a CNA role once in a while even though I had no certification

100 hours - patient sitter, patient liason

200 hours - general hospital volunteer (turnover rooms, walk with elderly patients, help patients get ready for MRI/CAT/PET scans)

Is this acceptable? I think I have good stories for each one since I talk to patients A TON in each role, but I'm scared med schools will see my experience as "less than" compared to someone who scribed, CNA, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming that you have adequate shadowing, your clinical experience is fine.

Reactions: 4 users
My advisor said that there are "tiers" to clinical experience, with the best being EMT/CNA/etc and the bottom tier being patient sitter/general volunteering.

I could not, for the life of me, get any "strong" clinical experience in the form of CNA, EMT, scribe, etc, as no one would hire me and certifications were either too expensive or I didn't have time to get them.

Instead, I have around 475 hours of clinical experience broken down as:

175 hours - patient sitter/CNA/patient safety, community hospital that kind of flexed me into a CNA role once in a while even though I had no certification

100 hours - patient sitter, patient liason

200 hours - general hospital volunteer (turnover rooms, walk with elderly patients, help patients get ready for MRI/CAT/PET scans)

Is this acceptable? I think I have good stories for each one since I talk to patients A TON in each role, but I'm scared med schools will see my experience as "less than" compared to someone who scribed, CNA, etc.
I can see where your advisor is coming from. Typically, paid clinical or an activity that requires a certificate beforehand signifies the individual is skilled enough for the certain task (after all, you are paid for your skills in most cases). The standards for volunteering are much lower.

However, I don't think being an EMT/CNA is going to alone get you into medical school nor will not having it screen you out.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can see where your advisor is coming from. Typically, paid clinical or an activity that requires a certificate beforehand signifies the individual is skilled enough for the certain task (after all, you are paid for your skills in most cases). The standards for volunteering are much lower.

However, I don't think being an EMT/CNA is going to alone get you into medical school nor will not having it screen you out.
In my case, I have an EMT, CNA, and RMA certification, but I just cannot find a job that fits my schedule with classes. As a result, I have to resort to volunteering but given my certifications, I am allowed to do basic clinical work like taking vital signs and doing phlebotomy procedures. My question is, shouldn't my experience be moreso judged off the duties I performed and impact I had rather than if it was paid or volunteer?

As a result, I have to resort to volunteering but given my certifications, I am allowed to do basic clinical work like taking vital signs and doing phlebotomy procedures. My question is, shouldn't my experience be moreso judged off the duties I performed and impact I had rather than if it was paid or volunteer?
Briefly, yes. You're good.

Reactions: 1 user