Only one ortho away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BooRadley85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to create an account on orthogate as the question might be more appropriate there, but it wasn't working. I've also tried researching the topic on here and there with out much luck for recent advice.

I have been planning on doing 2 aways up until now and have been accepted to two. However, my wife is due with our first baby a week before I leave for the first one and I've been second guessing the decision. She's a rock star and will be good either way, but if only doing one won't affect me that much, I'd rather figure this dad thing out. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
As a father who has 2 small children, I can honestly say that what you're planning on doing seems like a recipe for disaster. It may work out fine and you will get through it, but it is definitely not an ideal situation. Having a brand new baby at home is, in the words of Joe Biden, a big ****ing deal. I dont care how big of a rock star your wife is, there are so many variables at play when babies come into this world and the learning curve is VERY STEEP. As far as wether to do just one away, I guess that depends on how strong your application is and where you want to end up. But it seems like there are an awful lot months between now and october - why does the away have to happen right when your wife is going to give birth? Why not pick an alternative program that has availability when things are a bit more settled for you and your family?

Thanks for the reply. Agreed on the Joe Biden statement. The reason I was wanting to do two back to back early on is that it would be during her maternity leave and she could spend that time with her family to figure out mom stuff. By the time I would get home she would be going back to work and then I could actually help at that point. I'm a decent applicant (250+, H in all 3rd year clerkships so far, minimal research). Just kind of poor timing for the baby, but no time is a good time (or so I've heard).

Definitely true, no time is a good time. If your wife is going to have a nice amount of maternity leave and she has strong family support, I think your plan makes more sense. And being on an easier rotation when the baby is 1 or 2 months old will be nice for you to be able to help out and learn how to be a dad. Good luck man, Im also applying for ortho this year and my wife and I are currently trying for our third - timing will be key to say the least.