only PASSED pediatrics..was MATCH a struggle??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenacious_one

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
first of all congratualations to all the 4th years out there about to graduate :D

i too hope to be in your shows one day...but obviously you are supposed to get a high pass/ honors in the clerkship you are seeking to go into

but in my case i got screwed over my attendings :mad: ...and recieved a pass...i'm freaking out, and i know people say that "pediatrics is not that competitive" but how difficult will it be to match with just a pass and an AVERAGE step I?

i was told to apply to 30 programs....and then even after that i would match at my 6th ranked program... :scared: not really encouraging,...huh..

any thoughts??:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I would wager that you will probably match in a pediatric residency at some institution. There are alot of things you could do to prove yourself clinically, i.e. show that you can get honors, like do a Pedi-SubI, or inpatient PICU or NICU electives as well, and get honors and get a letter. That will show people that you learned how to be more efficient/work faster, or whatever the issue was (if it was a conflict with an attending then the problem will resolve itself immediately when you go to another institution/rotation, I wouldn't mention this to PDs if asked, although true, you should say you worked hard to improve yourself although you knew your treatment/grading was unfair). Cheer up, all pediatric residencies in the US provide for an excellent pediatric education, not just those in fancy places like CHOP, etc . . . You could probably get something in your desired geographic area.

Also, I don't think your average step 1 will hurt you as much as you think, remember that half the school class is less than average (ok median, which is usually close to average), so you studied harder than maybe 45% of your class! Also, keep in mind that if you keep up the studying during third year, eventually you will be in the top 25% for Step 2, alot of students/doctors do not study or read a journal article every day, week, or even month, so you can always build on your knowledge base, what matters is if you are interested in keeping up to date and reviewing material. Alot of stuff in medicine changes only slightly from year to year, but you have to keep re-learning old matrial and look at it from a different perspective. Study-up for Step 2, check out the step 2 forum to make sure that you are using the right material and then take the exam when you are ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice...:thumbup: i guess i just need to be more optimistic...:)

My understanding is that the evaluations you receive on your pedi electives and the letters you get from those electives are much more important than your core rotation.

I only passed my peds rotation AND had a comment on my formal eval that said I did below the class average on the shelf exam. Good times.
I did below average on my boards and had mainly passes in all my courses.
I matched at my number one place.
I applied to about 20 programs, interviewed at about 11 and ranked 10. I cancelled a handful of interviews because after a while it becomes too many.
Now, granted I wasnt hoping for CHOP or UCSF or any places like that, I set my sights on places where I felt I would fit in (not big name researchy places that likely focused on numbers at the get-go) and surprisingly found quite a few places that I would have been happy with and I am pretty sure vice versa. I even had a PD tell me that I reminded her of herself, not getting the best numbers, but making up for that in my passion for being a well-rounded person.
As I told another 3rd year with similar issues --- have confidence in what you have in your application and file to bring to the residency. Make sure that you truly feel that and let that be known when you interview.
Best of luck!

I only passed my peds rotation AND had a comment on my formal eval that said I did below the class average on the shelf exam. Good times.
I did below average on my boards and had mainly passes in all my courses.
I matched at my number one place.
I applied to about 20 programs, interviewed at about 11 and ranked 10. I cancelled a handful of interviews because after a while it becomes too many.
Now, granted I wasnt hoping for CHOP or UCSF or any places like that, I set my sights on places where I felt I would fit in (not big name researchy places that likely focused on numbers at the get-go) and surprisingly found quite a few places that I would have been happy with and I am pretty sure vice versa. I even had a PD tell me that I reminded her of herself, not getting the best numbers, but making up for that in my passion for being a well-rounded person.
As I told another 3rd year with similar issues --- have confidence in what you have in your application and file to bring to the residency. Make sure that you truly feel that and let that be known when you interview.
Best of luck!

Wow, it is nice that a PD opened up to you and that you got your number choice. Did you have Step 2 done before interviews? Did it help to specifically rock the pediatrics section? That is weird that you got a comment saying you did below average for Peds shelf, I would think that would apply to alot of people. Did your preceptors know you were interested in peds? did this help or hinder you?

@ flipflopsnsnow

I REALLY NEEDED to HEAR that! Thanks. Can I PM you with questions?

Also, I think most pediatric fellowships are relatively non-competitive and doable from any pediatric residency. I would choose my dream pediatric residency based on many factors, the three most important of which would be location, location, and then probably location.

I was on the recruitment committee for my residency program, and I found grades to be the least important part of the application, mainly because grade distribution varies so much among schools. Comments, LOR's, and Dean's Letter were much more important and memorable. Don't worry about it. Worry more about finishing third year, doing well on step 2, and getting your app together. Best of luck!

If you only "passed" your gen pediatrics rotation, and some sort of personality conflict with a big-shot pediatrician, then I would recommend doing a Pediatric-SubI this summer, at a DIFFERENT LOCATION, and doing well, i.e. this involves reading up some before said pedi-subi, and talking to other MS4s who have done said subI and done well, so that you know what is actually expected of you, sometimes there are hidden "extras" you should be doing when you are marshalling your forces elsewhere . . .

Oh sorry, forgot to add, get your LOR from you PediSubI, supposing that you do very well in it. Because you choose to be there, they will have a more positive interaction with you probably.

The problem with the pass was NOT because of a personality conflict from a big shot pediatrician but I actually did quite well in the nursery and inpatient...it was the people from outpatient...i dont' know what their problem was... but i think i was sterotyped from the beginning...i asked one of my preceptors to write a letter and was OUT RIGHT TOLD NO! i was not honors material!....:eek:

anyways, that's the past ... BUt i really appreciate everyones feedback. At this point its about focusing on the future....and getting superb LOR and doing exceptional in my SubI and and away electives.

despite the grades aspect, i know i'm excited about peds,and am quite optimistic about 4th year....:luck: ...especially since THERE WILL BE NO SHELF's...:D

WHAT ARE DO YOU GUESS THINK ABOUT DOING A SUB I TWICE...ONE AT YOUR MEDICAL SCHOOL AND THE SAME ON AT AN AWAY ROTATION...i think it will help because you know the course material...but does it look bad???

Fourth year is a gift from above, especially for peds interested folks. I wouldn't think it would hurt to do an away-SubI at all, especially if you do it at a place you like. If you did well in nursery, then I would recommend doing a neonatology SubI, check the Lange Neonatology by Gamella, its the best for neonatology. No shelf helps, but keep up with the reading definitely, you will get asked questions, not pimped, in a more nice sort of way on electives, and it blows them away if you know your stuff. . .