ontario veterinary college - MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladyh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am applying to Ontario Veterinary College this year.
They require the MCAT. (In order to assess whether or not you get an interview, they use a score that is composed of 20% MCAT score, 40% 8 required prerequisite courses, 40% average of last 2 semesters).

I just got my score, as a 29S. PS: 9, VR: 9, BS: 11, WS: S. I was doing better in my practice tests, than what I got in the end.

I know that for medical school, generally to be competitive, you need AT LEAST a 30. I don't know about veterinary school.

I looked at the stats for the last class admitted, and the mean was around a 9 for BS, a 9 for VR, an 8 for PS, and a Q for WS. So my score is over the mean for the last class admitted, BUT my average is not amazing (low 80s, and my 8 required courses is only around 78-ish).

So my question is .. should I retake the MCAT? Should I just leave it as it is? They take your best attempt. I wish I had just gotten one point higher, so it was a 30!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

If you are applying as a non-Canadian you can write the GRE instead of the MCAT.

There is no minimum mark for the MCAT at OVC. If you are applying as a Canadian you will be compared to all the others in the applicant pool (provided you have all the prerequisites) when we calculate the 'admission average'. This is the mix of 8 prerequisite courses, GPA from your last two full-time semesters, and the MCAT score.

All this is explained at http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/dvm/admissions/academic/.

If you are going to be near Guelph why not come for a guided tour of the facilities here. Our tours are led by current DVM students. If you are interested, please send me and email at [email protected].

I go to McMaster University in Hamilton, so I'm applying as a Canadian resident.
Thanks for the info! I have already practically memorized the information on that page, lol. I was just wondering if my score would be competitive enough, I know there is not a minimum mark required.

And I think I will sign up for a tour, thanks for the idea!

Members don't see this ad :)
My pleasure!

I'll be at McMaster on October 21st for their professional schools fair. My travel schedule is at http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/dvm/ if you want to come by when I'm in your area.

If anyone is part of a pre-vet club or group that would like to know more about the Ontario Veterinary College and all it has to offer - including a high quality education and a fully accredited facility - let me know. If I can't be there myself I'll try to find an OVC alum from your city to talk about their experience here.

Good luck everyone!

29S is very competitive for admission to OVC. It would be better to spend your time maximizing any remaining course grades and getting interesting vet/animal experiences than retaking the MCAT. You have a very good chance of getting in, don't worry too much about it.