Oops - forgot about minor institutional action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaybird117

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I've completed all my 2ndaries, of course I remember this -_-''' in first year, a bunch of my residence floor got rowdy enough for "excessive drinking" write-ups to be handed out all around. I had to pay a $100 bond, which I got back at the end of the year, and do this "how does overdrinking affect your life" online program for all of half an hour. Not a big deal, as I've always known when to indulge and when to buckle down, and my MCAT and GPA reflect that, but what should I do in terms of informing the schools I've applied to? Should I? It's hardly anything worth noting, after all.

Members don't see this ad.

Now that I've completed all my 2ndaries, of course I remember this -_-''' in first year, a bunch of my residence floor got rowdy enough for "excessive drinking" write-ups to be handed out all around. I had to pay a $100 bond, which I got back at the end of the year, and do this "how does overdrinking affect your life" online program for all of half an hour. Not a big deal, as I've always known when to indulge and when to buckle down, and my MCAT and GPA reflect that, but what should I do in terms of informing the schools I've applied to? Should I? It's hardly anything worth noting, after all.

Will the IA appear on your transcripts, or anything else being sent from your undergrad school to your med schools? If so, you will have lied on your application, as far as the med schools are concerned, when they see you have an IA when you said you did not. What you need to do is immediately call each school you applied to, explain that you made an oversight, and ask how to correct it. If you don't, you could face expulsion if they discover you had an IA you didn't report, even if they discover it after you have been a student for a few years, not to mention the high chance schools won't even admit you if they discover the IA that you didn't report......

this sounds like an IA, and you should have reported it on your apps. the chance of this affecting your chances is close to zero, but not reporting it could be a huge issue. i am not sure if calling each and every schools at this point is wise, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't appear on transcript and it won't appear on any letters, as they are all sent by individual professors, not a committee. Plus, technically, it isn't my school taking action - it's the undergraduate student government that handles minor offenses like these.

Doesn't appear on transcript and it won't appear on any letters, as they are all sent by individual professors, not a committee. Plus, technically, it isn't my school taking action - it's the undergraduate student government that handles minor offenses like these.

If it isn't technically an IA, you don't have to worry about it. If it is, and the med schools have a chance of finding out about it, it would be better to report it, by far. If you are not sure whether it is an IA or not, check with your undergraduate school; you don't want to draw attention to something that you don't have to report.

Okay, so it looks like it isn't an IA, just informal student government discipline-which-actually-isn't, as I was told that my bond was being held in case of a further violation, in which case things would get formal. As I got my bond back and kept my nose clean, looks like I'm scot-free.